    /oursite:8080/ not a valid virtual path

    Any help is appreciated.
    , Dec 6, 2006

  2. You have to create an *IIS Application* on port 8080
    ( in the IIS Manager, right click the "Default Web Site"
    and select "New Website" ), making sure you point the new Web Site
    to the physical directory where your files are located, and making sure
    you assign port 8080 to the new site's properties.

    Then create your VWD 2005 Project from that site,
    using the "File", "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 6, 2006

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > You have to create an *IIS Application* on port 8080
    > ( in the IIS Manager, right click the "Default Web Site"
    > and select "New Website" ), making sure you point the new Web Site
    > to the physical directory where your files are located, and making sure
    > you assign port 8080 to the new site's properties.
    >
    > Then create your VWD 2005 Project from that site,
    > using the "File", "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005.

    Thanks, but there already is an IIS application set up on port 8080.
    , Dec 6, 2006
  4. If you already have an application on port 8080,
    just create your VWD 2005 Project from that site,
    using the "File", "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005.

    Btw, are you talking about the *same* application or 2 different applications ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 6, 2006

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > If you already have an application on port 8080,
    > just create your VWD 2005 Project from that site,
    > using the "File", "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005.

    I did all that Juan, but VWD 2005 doesn't like anything but port 80.
    VWD opens the site just fine, I can create new pages, etc, but you
    begin to get build errors as I displayed above. Try it, you'll see.

    > Btw, are you talking about the *same* application or 2 different applications ?

    I'm talking about ONE application on port 8080.
    , Dec 6, 2006
  6. re:
    > I did all that Juan, but VWD 2005 doesn't like anything but port 80.
    >Try it, you'll see.

    Your problem intrigued me so much that I burned the VWD iso to a CD,
    and installed it on a spare machine I have.

    Then, I created an *IIS Application* on port 8080 by opening the IIS Manager,
    right-clicking the "Default Web Site" and selecting "New Web Site", making sure
    I pointed the new Web Site to the physical directory where my files are located,
    and making sure that I assigned port 8080 to the new site's properties.

    Then, I opened VWD and created a new VWD 2005 Web Site, using the "File",
    "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005, and selecting the application which I just
    created on port 8080 (make sure you select "Local IIS" on the left-hand side).

    Everything worked just fine.

    Recheck the procedure I've outlined twice, now.
    It should work perfectly, as it just did for me.

    You owe me for a CD blank, btw... (Not!)

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 6, 2006

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > I did all that Juan, but VWD 2005 doesn't like anything but port 80.
    > >Try it, you'll see.

    > Your problem intrigued me so much that I burned the VWD iso to a CD,
    > and installed it on a spare machine I have.
    >
    > Then, I created an *IIS Application* on port 8080 by opening the IIS Manager,
    > right-clicking the "Default Web Site" and selecting "New Web Site", making sure
    > I pointed the new Web Site to the physical directory where my files are located,
    > and making sure that I assigned port 8080 to the new site's properties.
    >
    > Then, I opened VWD and created a new VWD 2005 Web Site, using the "File",
    > "Open Web Site" menu in VWD 2005, and selecting the application which I just
    > created on port 8080 (make sure you select "Local IIS" on the left-hand side).
    >
    > Everything worked just fine.
    >
    > Recheck the procedure I've outlined twice, now.
    > It should work perfectly, as it just did for me.

    Thanks for your time in doing this, but it's NOT a local IIS, it's a
    remote server. Could be a different result. Our server is a remote
    server (which I have complete access) from my client.

    Here's a couple of references that others had, which is why I'm posting
    this because they never got a resolution (or at least, never posted a
    resolution)

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...id virtual path&rnum=1&hl=en#f0b1a281bb202dbc

    And here

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...id virtual path&rnum=3&hl=en#e697735027dfd9fc
    , Dec 6, 2006
  8. re:
    > Thanks for your time in doing this, but it's NOT a local IIS, it's a
    > remote server. Could be a different result.
    > Our server is a remote server (which I have complete access) from my client.

    If you have complete access, why don't you copy the files on the remote server
    to your box with VWD on it, and then, after you've completed the process I've
    described, upload the modified files to your remote server ?

    i.e., you don't need to have remote, live development, access to the project.

    I'm not even sure that VWD *can* develop on remote servers.
    I'm about 99.99% sure VWD can only develop local websites, not remote ones.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 6, 2006

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > Thanks for your time in doing this, but it's NOT a local IIS, it's a
    > > remote server. Could be a different result.
    > > Our server is a remote server (which I have complete access) from my client.

    > If you have complete access, why don't you copy the files on the remote server
    > to your box with VWD on it, and then, after you've completed the process I've
    > described, upload the modified files to your remote server ?
    >
    > i.e., you don't need to have remote, live development, access to the project.

    You do if you have more than 1 developer.

    > I'm not even sure that VWD *can* develop on remote servers.
    > I'm about 99.99% sure VWD can only develop local websites, not remote ones.

    You can develop on remote servers with VWD, you just can't debug. Like
    I said, it works on Port 80, just not an alternate port.

    The only other thing I could do is to get another IP address on this
    box, and point it to the development directory, using port 80.
    , Dec 6, 2006
  10. re:
    > You do if you have more than 1 developer.

    You should consider purchasing VS 2005 if you have more than one developer.
    VWD was designed for standalone development.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 7, 2006