pause JBossMQ ?

ravimannan2002

I have an app ("APP1") that sends objects to another app
("APP2") via JMS.
APP2 is an adapter to the database, and so it takes what is in these
objects and writes to the database.
I want to be able to pause all of these writes to do a database backup
by somehow pausing the JBoss messaging provider, JBossMQ.

We are using JBoss 4 and the Publish/Subscribe model.

Is this a good idea of going about pausing writes to the database?
How can this be achieved through the JBoss API?

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks (and please excuse my ignorance)!