PAUSE vs. $VERSION

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ivan Shmakov, Aug 5, 2013.

  1. Ivan Shmakov

    Ivan Shmakov Guest

    As per the PAUSE recommendation [1], I check my modules to have
    the proper $VERSION information:

    $ perl -MExtUtils::MakeMaker \
    -le 'print MM->parse_version (shift)' lib/Tree/Range.pm
    0.21
    $

    ... or, rather:

    $ perl -e 'use common::sense;
    use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
    print (MM->parse_version ($_), "\t", $_, "\n")
    foreach (@ARGV);' \
    $(find lib/Tree/ -name \*.pm)
    0.21 lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
    0.21 lib/Tree/Range.pm
    $

    [1] http://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_04about#version

    Now, the PAUSE namespace indexer fails to recognize it, like:

    --cut--
    module: Tree::Range::base
    version: undef
    in file: Tree-Range-0.21/lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
    status: Not indexed because Tree-Range-0.1/lib/Tree/Range/base.pm
    in O/ON/ONEGRAY/Tree-Range-0.1.tar.gz has a higher version
    number (0.1)
    --cut--

    Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION"
    form is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl and that the
    version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker (or?) used at PAUSE is yet to be
    updated to handle it?

    TIA.

    --
    FSF associate member #7257

    Ivan Shmakov, Aug 5, 2013

  2. Ivan Shmakov <> writes:

    [...]

    > Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION"
    > form is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl

    [...]

    According to www.perl.org, it was added with Perl 5.12.0 (released on
    2010/04/12).

    Rainer Weikusat, Aug 6, 2013

  3. Ivan Shmakov

    Ivan Shmakov Guest

    >> Do I understand it correctly that the "package PACKAGE VERSION" form
    >> is a (relatively) recent addition to Perl

    > According to www.perl.org, it was added with Perl 5.12.0 (released on
    > 2010/04/12).

    ACK, thanks!

    The "primary" Perl version of my interest is now 5.14.2 (which
    is the version included in Debian 7), but unless it proves to be
    too much a burden, I'd like to support older Perl versions,
    going as far back as 5.10.1 (which could be found in, e. g., the
    still supported Debian 6.0.)

    I've thus reverted back to the use of explicit "our $VERSION"
    forms in the just released Tree-Range-0.22 [1].

    [1] news:

    --
    FSF associate member #7257

    Ivan Shmakov, Aug 7, 2013