    clicking on the flag)

    How could give me an explanation ?

    Thx

    =?iso-8859-1?B?VHNjaHXf?=, Oct 11, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?B?VHNjaHXf?=

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-10-11, Tschuß <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a personal site (www.excel-exercice.com) but I have a big pb
    > with the special characters like é à (espacially in french)
    > I have write in my header <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    > content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" lang="fr"> but it doesn't
    > work.

    I doubt that the lang attribute on a meta element does anything (since
    it has no content, and isn't rendered). But never mind, that's not the
    main problem here.

    > You can see the pb by visiting the site and change the language (by
    > clicking on the flag)
    >
    > How could give me an explanation ?

    It's because the server is delivering those pages with this header:

    The server header trumps the meta element.

    Your text does appear to be encoded in ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8.

    So, two solutions: either change the server to put charset=ISO-8859-1 in
    the header instead, or transcode your pages so they are UTF-8 (and
    change or delete the meta elements-- it will still work if you don't,
    but will cause confusion in future to anyone reading the source).

    Ben C, Oct 11, 2007