PBM: Authentication popup when uploading from a web dialog

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Vince C., Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Vince C.

    Vince C. Guest

    Hi.

    I've created a web application that requires authentication on all pages. One of
    my pages is an ASP script that runs in a modal web dialog. It has a form to
    upload a file. To prevent a new window from being spawned I've put an IFRAME as
    the target of the form submission:

    <form action="Image.asp" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data"
    target="Results">
    <input type="file" size="30" name="ImageFile">
    </form>
    <iframe src="about:blank" name="Results" frameborder="0"></iframe>

    When I pick up a file from My Documents I get an authentication prompt as soon
    as I submit the form. I don't get that authentication prompt when I run the
    script in a normal window (i.e. in a non dialog window). If I select a file from
    anywhere beyond the wwwRoot folder I don't get the authentication prompt either.

    Is it normal or is it a bug in MSIE? I would have sworn IIS had nothing to do
    with client-side file access when uploading files!

    I'm running Windows XP SP1 with IE6 SP1.

    Thanks,
    Vince C.

    Vince C., Apr 3, 2004

  2. Vince C.

    Matt Foster Guest

    Re: Authentication popup when uploading from a web dialog

    <iframe src="about:blank" name="Results" frameborder="0"></iframe>

    What happens if you change the src to an ASP page which has the validation
    in it?

    Matt Foster, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Vince C.

    Vince C. Guest

    "Matt Foster" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > <iframe src="about:blank" name="Results" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    >
    > What happens if you change the src to an ASP page which has the validation
    > in it?

    What do you mean exactly? Do you mean server-side or client-side validation
    script?

    Vince C.

    Vince C., Apr 7, 2004
  4. Hello Vince,

    Has the problem resolved by chaning the src to an asp page? If you have any
    more concerns on it, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Apr 7, 2004
  5. Vince C.

    Vince C. Guest

    "Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hello Vince,
    >
    > Has the problem resolved by chaning the src to an asp page? If you have any
    > more concerns on it, please feel free to post here.

    Ah, Ok, I understand now. Well, the problem vanished by itself. I'm not sure
    what the cure was. Anyway I browsed my web from a remote machine until I got to
    the upload dialog. I selected and sent a file on the latter machine and I didn't
    get the prompt. I returned and did the same on my laptop where the web with
    upload dialog is and I did not get the authentication prompt anymore :-|. Wow!
    Understand the one who can!

    Rather confusing isn't it? Well, I keep getting strange things like this since I
    began developing for the web under Windows XP... I had no such troubles under
    Windows 2000.

    See you when I can reproduce the problem.
    Vince C.

    Vince C., Apr 7, 2004
  6. Hi Vince,

    Sure. Please feel free to post in the community when you meet it again. We
    are here to support you at your convenience. For the problem I think you
    may pay attention to:
    1) any change in IIS
    2) any hotfix or windows update you just applied?

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Apr 8, 2004