PC to Mac formating

Jimmy Joe

I make some java class files on a PC using text pad. Transfer them to
my mac via FTP. When i open them in project builder they won't compile
due to some characters it doesn't like. Using the "reindent" command
it only fixes the first line. I have to go in every line and press
return or tab to reindent it manually if i want to compile. If you
haven't guess my question by now here it goes. First, why does this
happen? Second, how can I save myself the pain.

Thanks

Brad BARCLAY

Jimmy said:
I make some java class files on a PC using text pad. Transfer them to
my mac via FTP. When i open them in project builder they won't compile
due to some characters it doesn't like. Using the "reindent" command
it only fixes the first line. I have to go in every line and press
return or tab to reindent it manually if i want to compile. If you
haven't guess my question by now here it goes. First, why does this
happen? Second, how can I save myself the pain.

Are you FTP'ing the files in ASCII or Binary mode? If the latter,
switch to the former (assuming you're uploading the .java files, and not
an archive containing them, of course). This should ensure that the
correct line breaks are generated.

HTH!

Brad BARCLAY

Phillip Mills

Brad BARCLAY said:
Are you FTP'ing the files in ASCII or Binary mode? If the latter,
switch to the former (assuming you're uploading the .java files, and not
an archive containing them, of course). This should ensure that the
correct line breaks are generated.

Or, assuming Mac OS X, you can transfer a .zip file as binary and use
'unzip -a <filename>' from the console to do text conversion.