PDF::API2 underlining text

ccc31807

I've looked but must be missing something -- how do you underline
text?

Is it part of the font object, as Bold or Italic or Roman?

Or is it some kind of transformation of text, like the translate
method?

Thanks, CC.

Peter J. Holzer

Put a line underneath it?

'Underlined' is not a property of the character, like 'bold' or
'italic'. It's just a straight line stuck underneath the line of text.
(It's also *really* tacky and should be avoided in anything purporting
to be properly typeset.) I'm sure it's straightforward to find out where
the text begins and ends; then just move those two points down a point
or so and draw a line between them.

Position and thickness of the line should probably depend on the font
size and maybe also on font family and weight.

I remember that GEM fonts (GEM was a windowing system for PCs and Atari
ST in the 1980's) included the offset of the upper and lower edge of the
underline. Postscript and Truetype fonts don't, AFAIK.

hp

ccc31807

I remember that GEM fonts

I remember using GEM on old Amstrad machines. They had the power
supply in the back of the monitor and had problems burning up. Still,
I like GEM, especially when the alternatives on clones was DOS 3.x.

As to the underlining, I omitted it from the documents and no one said
anything, so at this point no news is good news.

Thanks, CC.