    and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

    Thanks.

    Richard Fisher

    Helpful person, May 6, 2009

  2. Helpful person

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 6 May, 16:23, Helpful person <> wrote:

    > what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
    > both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf.  I am using HTML
    > 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.

    That's a frameset, so use the frameset doctype. Use Strict for the
    individual nav frame(s) within this.

    > Can this be done using strict?  Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
    > and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

    Frameset as a doctype will be around for as long as there are frames.

    Andy Dingley, May 6, 2009

  3. Helpful person

    Ari Heino Guest

    Andy Dingley kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > Frameset as a doctype will be around for as long as there are frames.

    ....and frames will be around for as long as there is the Frameset doctype?

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, May 6, 2009
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <> writing
    in news::

    > My system opens
    > PDF files in Foxit Reader.

    Hurray for Foxit! Love that reader. Just had to comment.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, May 6, 2009
  5. Helpful person

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > Helpful person wrote:
    > > I have a link to a pdf file which opens fine, as expected. However,
    > > what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
    > > both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf. I am using HTML
    > > 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.
    > >
    > > Can this be done using strict? Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
    > > and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

    > Can't be done on my system no matter what your DOCTYPE. My system opens
    > PDF files in Foxit Reader.

    So, you can't enjoy quick and efficient peeks at pdf in your browser,
    that is a bit of a shame... With a Mac, Ed, you can have a browser make
    you a cup of coffee.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 7, 2009
  6. Helpful person

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Ed Mullen <>
    wrote:

    > It is a great little program, isn't it? I got fed up with the bloat in
    > Adobe Reader. :)

    I chucked Adobe plug-in a long time back, there are more efficient for
    in browser looks at pdf...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 7, 2009
  7. Helpful person

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 06 May 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> On 06 May 2009, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And I probably shouldn't bring this up but ... I have done business
    >>> with Apple and I never liked the cultish and holier-than-thou aura
    >>> that permeates Cupertino. No, it's not a dislike of success. I
    >>> love success. That's how I retired at 52. I just don't care for
    >>> superciliousness. I find it bad manners.

    >> I worked for Cupertino. My immediate supervisor was a decent enough
    >> guy but I got the "attitude vs. ability" speech once or twice. (My
    >> attitude really was what might be termed "bad", sorta.) When crunch
    >> time came, they kept me on longer than I expected, -longer than my
    >> tenure deserved so to speak, but in the end I was sent down the
    >> road. Now I guess I'm a road apple...
    >>

    > Yeah, I get that. Many years ago, after a nice long tenure at Sony,
    > and known for being calm, considered and professional, I lost it
    > during a meeting, slammed my hand on the table and said something on
    > the order of: "Have you two lost your xxxxing minds?!!! This
    > product is crap, nobody's gonna buy it, the only issue we have to
    > deal with is when to crush all the inventory in the warehouse and how
    > big a loss to book! And you two are sitting here coming up with
    > cockamamie schemes to spend more money to sell something that no one
    > wants. Get a xxxxing grip!"
    >
    > I left the company shortly thereafter. Very well compensated, I
    > might add. And it felt /really/ good to have become so annoying that
    > they paid me to go away. :)
    >
    > And, dammit, I told them not to build the damned thing. Oh well.
    > Time marches on and history fades. Such is life.

    Ya know, that's me, too. Not defending the right or wrong of it but
    just saying it's _a_ way and the way I chose to choose. Inter-techy in
    my "career", I worked for a major sports franchise whose team just
    happened to make it to the highest of all their playoffs in my 2nd year
    there. Well, they lost (fairly close margin), and I was tempted to
    make a wisecrack but everybody looked so serious and
    end-of-the-worldish that I didn't. A few days later I mentioned this
    impulse to my dept's hama-hama saying, "I woulda but was afeerd they'd
    fire me." He replied in all seriousness, "They would have." Anyway, I
    lasted a bit over 3 years there then finally told this
    jock-turned-event-manager-overnight dude to go f- himself and was
    (-about 2 months later when the busy-busy was over) "requested" to take
    my leave. ...And sure enough, within about a year I was making at
    least twice as much (-though missed the glitter of the "big show"
    somewhat, I do admit.) The new gig lasted 7+ years until crunch time
    came again and the powers that be expected kiss-assing obeisance, etc.,
    (which, of course, they didn't get.) I'll own-up to a couple-three
    tough years after that, but now (and for the last 5 years or more)
    things are peachy (-and I _don't_ mean to imply I've become an
    itinerant worker...) The point is, right or wrong, I never could
    suck-up to any boss's "wayward ideas" and I don't think you're the type
    to, either.

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

    Neredbojias, May 7, 2009
  8. On May 6, 11:23 am, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > I have a link to a pdf file which opens fine, as expected.  However,
    > what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
    > both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf.  I am using HTML
    > 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.
    >
    > Can this be done using strict?  Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
    > and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Richard Fisher

    Thanks everyone for your answers, even the off topic ones (they were
    interesting). Looks like I need to learn about framesets.

    Helpful person, May 7, 2009