pdf, doc, xls

Sebastian ¯elazny

Hi,

How can i check in javascript, does install acrobat reader, openoffice or
microsoft office? I have a few files in pdf, doc and xls. When user click i
want check in user computer is install any program, and when user haven't
openoffice, function is open install program (exe).

Daz

Hi,

How can i check in javascript, does install acrobat reader, openoffice or
microsoft office? I have a few files in pdf, doc and xls. When user clicki
want check in user computer is install any program, and when user haven't
openoffice, function is open install program (exe).

To my understanding, it can't be done. Or at least, not in a way
that's cross-compatible with other browsers. I am sure Active X would
allow you to do it, but I don't think you can do it using standard
JavaScript. This is one of the things that makes Active X so insecure,
and it's responsible for a lot of Internet Explorer's security
vulnerabilities.

If JavaScript could read directories and files, just imagine how
insecure your data would be. Web sites could do just about anything
without your knowledge, such as read personal information, and private
or sensitive data.

Could someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Daz.

Evertjan.

Jim Land wrote on 02 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Here in c.l.js, people who are wrong are automatically corrected.
Vigorously. Belligerently. In fact, unless you are thick-skinned, you
might consider body armor, or a good brick wall to crouch behind. :)

Utter nonsence, Jim, you should be ashamed to say that.

You of all people should know we are the ultimate kindness NG.

We never tell someone the truth, how wrong one may be!

Requests like that fall on deaf ears,
as we wouldn't dare, in case we could be offensive!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!

;---`}

Daz

Here in c.l.js, people who are wrong are automatically corrected.
Vigorously. Belligerently. In fact, unless you are thick-skinned, you
might consider body armor, or a good brick wall to crouch behind. :)

Hehe. Thanks for the advice. Usually if I think I could be wrong, I
leave myself open to be corrected, as nothing is worse than being
flamed for being wrong. With that said, if I think I could be wrong, I
usually say so, so that the OP can make their own mind up on the
matter and not assume that I am correct.

One thing I have learnt is that there's not always a single correct
way to do things. :)