    Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would happen and what I can do to
    get around this?

    Thanks
    K, Apr 23, 2005

  2. K

    saz Guest

    In article <8dyae.18280$>, "K" <@.>
    says...
    > I have some links to PDF documents on a plain HTML page. Standard HREF
    > links opening in a new window.
    >
    > However, some users have reported that even with Acrobat installed, they are
    > prompted to download/save the file instead of it opening in the new window
    > using the Acrobat plugin.
    >
    > Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would happen and what I can do to
    > get around this?
    >
    > Thanks

    There is a setting in Acrobat that allows browser integration. It is
    turned on by default, so there may have been an installation problem, or
    if they were prompted they may have chosen "no". Tell them to go into
    preferences and fix it.
    saz, Apr 23, 2005

  3. K wrote:
    > However, some users have reported that even with Acrobat installed,

    they are
    > prompted to download/save the file instead of it opening in the new window
    > using the Acrobat plugin.
    > Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would happen and what I can do to
    > get around this?

    It is completely up to the user how it works. Put instructions on the
    page telling the user how to set it up if they don't have it set up
    correctly
    ..

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 23, 2005
  4. K wrote :
    > I have some links to PDF documents on a plain HTML page. Standard HREF links
    > opening in a new window.
    >
    > However, some users have reported that even with Acrobat installed, they are
    > prompted to download/save the file instead of it opening in the new window
    > using the Acrobat plugin.
    >
    > Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would happen and what I can do to
    > get around this?
    >
    > Thanks

    This is interesting....

    Sometimes in this and other NGs people ask "How can I _get_ my site
    visiters to have my PDF file open in their browser?" or "How can I
    _get_ my site visiters to have my PDF file bring up a saveAs dialogue?"
    The most common response (not answer) to this question is "You dont
    _get_ them to do anything. You may suggest to them what they are able
    to do, but the user would prefer to do with it what they like."

    Here is a case were perhaps the opposite occurs....
    Site visiter says "on your site I am prompted with the saveAs dialogue
    box, where on other sites PDF files are opened in my browser window.
    Can you please fix this on your site?"

    Can't please all the people all the time!

    Re your question....
    You could set the content-disposition to application-pdf (i think thats
    the one, google for content-disposition, and you will find the correct
    value for this. this way, the browser will think that it is a PDF
    file, and do with it what is does by default.

    --
    a beef jerky web site : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
    not a beef jerky web site : http://mycoolfish.com/vote.cmks
    Disco Octopus, Apr 27, 2005