    the selected areas from adjacent pages. I guess that means I need a
    Python wrapper for GhostScript, or something similar. Anyone know if
    that exists? Thanks.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Simon Burton <> writes:
    > http://www.reportlab.org/
    >
    > handles pdf files.

    Reportlab generates reports in pdf format, but I want to do the
    opposite, namely read in pdf files that have already been generated by
    a different program, and crunch on them. Any more ideas? Thanks.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Aloha,

    Paul Rubin schrieb:
    > Simon Burton <> writes:
    > > http://www.reportlab.org/
    > > handles pdf files.

    > Reportlab generates reports in pdf format, but I want to do the
    > opposite, namely read in pdf files that have already been generated by
    > a different program, and crunch on them. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    The commercial version (reportlab.com) mentions a tool named
    PageCatcher, that seems to be able to extract pages and page descriptions
    out of .pdf documents. There is not that many information on the web-page.

    If you read comp.text.tex you will find various solutions for composing
    and a few for extracting data/content from .pdf documents. Afaik there
    is at the moment (read as: i'm working on it) no free-self-contained-
    python solution. But as python is very interface-friendly you can use
    general tools like gs easily.

    For your problem i would suggest to use gs als a .pdf to .ps filter
    in the first place, work on the .ps and distill back with gs.

    Wishing a happy day
    LOBI
    Andreas Lobinger, Apr 21, 2004
    Andreas Lobinger, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Paul Rubin

    Duncan Booth Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote in

    > Simon Burton <> writes:
    >> http://www.reportlab.org/
    >>
    >> handles pdf files.

    > Reportlab generates reports in pdf format, but I want to do the
    > opposite, namely read in pdf files that have already been generated by
    > a different program, and crunch on them. Any more ideas? Thanks.

    Reportlab does that as well, but you either have to pay them money or live
    with a Reportlab watermark added to each page you process. So, if you are
    doing this for fun it may not be a useful answer, but if its commercial you
    can investigate it for free and pay later to remove the watermark.
    Duncan Booth, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Paul Rubin

    Simon Burton Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:14:03 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > I have a big PDF file that I'd like to crunch, i.e. I want to select a
    > certain rectangular area from each page and make a new PDF combining the
    > selected areas from adjacent pages. I guess that means I need a Python
    > wrapper for GhostScript, or something similar. Anyone know if that
    > exists? Thanks.

    http://www.reportlab.org/

    handles pdf files.

    Simon.