PDF output how-to ...

Useko Netsumi

Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text description
such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.

I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4 photos)
but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the whole pic,
then go to the next page.
..
Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
do it in Ruby.

Thanks.

George N. White III

Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text description
such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.

This sort of task that requires a proper document layout program. There
is a lot of information needed to lay out a PDF document, mainly to deal
with fonts, so you are better off generating a source file that can be
passed to a layout package.

One that is both excellent and free is pdftex. There are good TeX distros
for all widely used and other platforms. They all provide lots of
examples and documentation, and are supported by a large user community.
The most robust approach is to convert your image to PDF format (e.g.,
using gimp or ImageMagick) and then "place" the image in a document.
I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4
photos) but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the
whole pic, then go to the next page.

Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how
to do it in Ruby.

Take a look at the example documents at http://www.pragma-ade.com, which
were mostly generated using the ConTeXt macro package with pdftex. The
input files are simple ASCII with markup codes to control the layout, and
there is also support for XML.

Useko Netsumi

Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.

From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?

Useko Netsumi

Oops sorry ... my other project is in the way. I used PHP on Windows for the
Web related apps since I can't get mod_ruby/eruby running on my Windows with
the Apache and Ruby 1.8.

Anyway, what I meant to say is ...
....with or without Ruby in mind?(just use straight LaTex or other
formatting tools instead of using Ruby function).

Useko Netsumi said:
Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.

From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?

Useko Netsumi

Opps ... sorry ...what I meant to say is ...

.....it with or without Ruby in mind?(Use straight LaTex or other formatting
tools).

PS: I used PHP since mod_ruby/eruby are not updated for the Ruby 1.8 and the
latest Apache. Anyone has any info?

Useko Netsumi said:
Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.

From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?

gabriele renzi

.
Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
do it in Ruby.

Thanks.

possibly you could take a look at PDF::Writer, pure ruby, simple, with
extensive documentation, and liberal license :)
look up in raa