    Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
    do it in Ruby.

    Thanks.
    Useko Netsumi, Nov 7, 2003

  2. On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Useko Netsumi wrote:

    > Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text description
    > such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.

    This sort of task that requires a proper document layout program. There
    is a lot of information needed to lay out a PDF document, mainly to deal
    with fonts, so you are better off generating a source file that can be
    passed to a layout package.

    One that is both excellent and free is pdftex. There are good TeX distros
    for all widely used and other platforms. They all provide lots of
    examples and documentation, and are supported by a large user community.
    The most robust approach is to convert your image to PDF format (e.g.,
    using gimp or ImageMagick) and then "place" the image in a document.

    > I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4
    > photos) but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the
    > whole pic, then go to the next page.
    >
    > Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how
    > to do it in Ruby.

    Take a look at the example documents at http://www.pragma-ade.com, which
    were mostly generated using the ConTeXt macro package with pdftex. The
    input files are simple ASCII with markup codes to control the layout, and
    there is also support for XML.

    --
    George N. White III <>
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
    George N. White III, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.

    From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?

    Useko Netsumi, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Oops sorry ... my other project is in the way. I used PHP on Windows for the
    Web related apps since I can't get mod_ruby/eruby running on my Windows with
    the Apache and Ruby 1.8.

    Anyway, what I meant to say is ...
    ....with or without Ruby in mind?(just use straight LaTex or other
    formatting tools instead of using Ruby function).

    Useko Netsumi, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Opps ... sorry ...what I meant to say is ...

    .....it with or without Ruby in mind?(Use straight LaTex or other formatting
    tools).

    PS: I used PHP since mod_ruby/eruby are not updated for the Ruby 1.8 and the
    latest Apache. Anyone has any info?

    Useko Netsumi, Nov 10, 2003
  6. il Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:13:52 -0500, "Useko Netsumi"
    <> ha scritto::

    >I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4 photos)
    >but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the whole pic,
    >then go to the next page.
    >.
    >Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
    >do it in Ruby.
    >
    >Thanks.

    possibly you could take a look at PDF::Writer, pure ruby, simple, with
    extensive documentation, and liberal license :)
    look up in raa
    gabriele renzi, Nov 10, 2003