PDF::Reader streamed into PDF::Writer

Brandon Sislow

Hi Folks,

Does PDF::Reader integrate at all with PDF::Writer?

What I'm attempting to do is read a pdf file while writing it back out
in pdf with additional data added(i.e. form fields populated).

Essentially this is a premade template I want to dynamically populate.

My guess would be to map all the callbacks received from PDF::Reader
into an associated PDF::Writer function, but that would take massive
amounts of man-hours to complete.

I've searched a few posts but haven't seen anything exactly like what
I'm looking for other than http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/147310#new :

"Posted by Austin Ziegler (austin)
on 26.03.2008 21:25
(Received via mailing list)

now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf.
any tips?Can't be done with PDF::Writer or straight Ruby. You might be able to
do it with Cairo's PDF support.

-austin"

Anyone have other suggestions?

Austin Ziegler

Does PDF::Reader integrate at all with PDF::Writer?

What I'm attempting to do is read a pdf file while writing it back out
in pdf with additional data added(i.e. form fields populated).

Essentially this is a premade template I want to dynamically populate.

My guess would be to map all the callbacks received from PDF::Reader
into an associated PDF::Writer function, but that would take massive
amounts of man-hours to complete.

Yes, it would. You *really* don't want to do this. If you need to do
this, look at stepping outside of Ruby or look at Ruby Cairo.

There has been discussion of *simplistic* PDFR to PDFW translation,
but it's exactly that: simplistic.

BTW ruby-forum is a poor-man's replication of the mailing list and
newsgroup interaction.

-austin