PDF rendering toolkit?

Jorge Vargas

Hi

I'm looking for a tool to take an actual .pdf file and display it in a
window (I'm using wxwidgets at the moment)

I have found several project but none seem to do what I need.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfplayground seems like a nice
toolkit to edit pdf files with python code, but nothing about
rendering.

I have find out http://poppler.freedesktop.org/ but there seems to be
no python bindings for it.

there is also an example at http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet618.html
using wx.lib.pdfwin but that is windows only, I need at least Linux
support better if it's platform independant as python *should* be

and the reportlabs BSD packages can't do this.
http://www.reportlab.org/devfaq.html#2.1.5

anyone knows of a toolkit to do this? bonus points if's it is already
integrated into wxpython

Diez B. Roggisch

I'm looking for a tool to take an actual .pdf file and display it in a
window (I'm using wxwidgets at the moment)

No idea if there is a one-shot-kills-them-all solution out there - but
if you have a way to go for windows, you might checkout PyQt and PyKDE
to embed a kpfd-view in a window of yours.

I agree that it is less than desirable to switch toolkits - but if you
_have_ to...

Diez

Martin Miller

Jorge Vargas

No idea if there is a one-shot-kills-them-all solution out there - but
if you have a way to go for windows, you might checkout PyQt and PyKDE
to embed a kpfd-view in a window of yours.

I agree that it is less than desirable to switch toolkits - but if you
_have_ to...
yes indeed the problem with that is I want my code to be portable that
is the reason I'm working on top of wx.

Joshua J. Kugler

Jorge said:
yes indeed the problem with that is I want my code to be portable that
is the reason I'm working on top of wx.

Qt3 (and PyQt3) is available on all platforms. Qt4 (and PyQt4) is GPL on
all platforms for GPL projects. You no longer *have* to stick with wx for
cross platform GPL goodness.