PDF "Title" and "Comments" field retrieval

George Sew

Hi there,

When you right-click on a pdf file in Windows, you can visualize the
"Title" and the "Comments" fields under the "Summary" tab. I am trying
to retrieve these fields so that I can put them in a DataGrid.
Unfortunately, the fileinfo class does not provide this information. Is
there another class I can use? Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Lloyd Sheen

What you are seeing is a shell handler in action. There is a registered dll
which will read the file and extract information. There are similar dll's
for mp3's .doc's etc. These dll's are written to be called from the windows
shell so I don't think you can use them.

You would have to find specs of where the info you are looking for resides
in PDF file and access it yourself. There are commerical products to
extract this info but I have never seem specs for this info.

Lloyd Sheen

bruce barker

adobe supplies an explorer addin that supports this feature as it is not
part of the filesystem. it basics opens the pdf file and reads the info.
look for a pdf toolkit you like that supports this feature. itextsharp on
sourceforge should do it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)