    anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    TIA

    J. Muir, Jun 14, 2005

  2. [OT] Re: PDF to text ?

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:25:21 -0700, J. Muir <> wrote:

    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    How about asking the author of the text for the original in whatever format is
    current for you?

    BTW: this has really nothing what so ever to do with alt.html. Find a better
    newsgroup.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jun 14, 2005

  3. J. Muir

    Mitja Guest

    Re: [OT] PDF to text ?

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:25:21 +0200, J. Muir <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    Don't know about that. It is unfortunate that using pdf unlocking software
    which removes the copy-paste restriction and can easily be found via
    google (probably even for MacOS) is not legal... [clears throat]

    Mitja

    Mitja, Jun 14, 2005
  4. J. Muir

    J. Muir Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: PDF to text ?

    In article <opssdevwsbx5vgts@zoete_b>,
    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:25:21 -0700, J. Muir <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    > How about asking the author of the text for the original in whatever format
    > is
    > current for you?
    >
    > BTW: this has really nothing what so ever to do with alt.html. Find a better
    > newsgroup.

    Yea, I was wondering if this was too OT... but I reasoned that it
    involves web site stuff, and web sites involve html... weak connection,
    I know, but it's kinda-sorta there, isn't it? Besides, I couldn't find:
    alt.pdftotext ; - )

    I have googled this big time, and I just can not find an answer.

    Thanks for the responses.

    J. Muir, Jun 14, 2005
  5. J. Muir

    Toby Inkster Guest

    J. Muir wrote:

    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    A combination of the "ps2ascii" and "pdf2ps" tools which form part of
    Ghostscript should do this. There is almost certainly a port for Mac OS X.
    Not sure about OS 9 though.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > J. Muir wrote:
    >

    >>I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    >>anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    >>to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    > A combination of the "ps2ascii" and "pdf2ps" tools which form part of
    > Ghostscript should do this. There is almost certainly a port for Mac OS X.
    > Not sure about OS 9 though.

    Although probably the reason the text is in PDF format is that the
    author did not want your to edit it, but one can always do a screen
    capture and use an OCR program to convert to text in a pinch. Textbridge
    for WinBoxes I am sure some comparable program for Mac

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Re: [OT] PDF to text ?

    > Don't know about that. It is unfortunate that using pdf unlocking software
    > which removes the copy-paste restriction and can easily be found via
    > google (probably even for MacOS) is not legal... [clears throat]
    >
    > Mitja

    ROFLMAO

    Louise
    www.bratpack.org.uk

    Louise Balmforth, Jun 14, 2005
  8. J. Muir

    saz Guest

    In article <ba2a7$42af1240$4396a33a$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.
    >
    > TIA

    I had a friend try to do this and sent it to me to see if I had any
    luck. I quickly found out it was scanned image in pdf format.

    Just checking, but is this an image?

    saz, Jun 14, 2005
  9. J. Muir

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "J. Muir" <>

    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    Assuming you are using Acrobat Reader, there is a text tool in the program
    (no need to be online) at the top, it is a text cursor. I am not sure you
    have tried this but probably you have? Next suggestion then:

    Sometimes it works to change the "File type". You need to be able to see the
    file name or icon (say on your desktop). Then get at the file type. I would
    try TEXT if it is not already this. "Creator code" will be likely Acrobat
    Reader. You can do make changes in the freely available ResEdit (but be
    careful and do this on a copy and not on anything else on your machine). Or
    get a useful little Mac utility called "TypeShuffler" from
    http://www.bubblepop.com/ or elsewhere... There are millions of file type
    and creator code utes around, Google up and grab one. They are an essential
    tool.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 14, 2005
  10. J. Muir

    dorayme Guest

    The typeShuffler you need is version 1.1.1, all about 300K. I don't know if
    the url I gave you before still have this version available. If you need it
    and can't get it, I can dig it out for you and send...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >> J. Muir wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    >>>anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    >>>to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    >> A combination of the "ps2ascii" and "pdf2ps" tools which form part of
    >> Ghostscript should do this. There is almost certainly a port for Mac OS
    >> X. Not sure about OS 9 though.
    >>

    > Although probably the reason the text is in PDF format is that the
    > author did not want your to edit it, but one can always do a screen
    > capture and use an OCR program to convert to text in a pinch. Textbridge
    > for WinBoxes I am sure some comparable program for Mac

    Some PDF conversions that I came across didn't allow highlighting of text.
    Even Acrobat Reader 7 (Linux) could not handle it. There is an option under
    "File" for exporting the document as text. This does a tremendous job, but
    the output is sometimes void.

    Screen captures are tedious and they require some demanding software to do
    text recognition. They will also suffer from equations, figures, etc. and
    will not hold information about structure (e.g. nested bulletpoints).

    My advice to you is to get hold of the source. It will take you less time
    than that struggle with annoying PDF's. That's why some people prefer
    sending the LaTeX around. If you want to view it, compile it on your
    machine... as HTML (latex2html), as PostScript, as PDF, or whatever you
    fancy.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 15, 2005
  12. J. Muir

    data64 Guest

    "J. Muir" <> wrote in news:ba2a7$42af1240$4396a33a$10193
    @TCSN.NET:

    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    We use a program called pdftotext to convert pdf files to something that our
    search engine can digest. I know there is a version for Mac, but I have no
    idea what it deals with pdf files that are marked as copy protected.

    data64

    data64, Jun 16, 2005
  13. J. Muir

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "J. Muir" <>

    > I have a pdf file that is set so I can't copy and paste the text. Does
    > anyone know of a good Mac (OS 9.1) program that will convert a pdf file
    > to text? I tried the adobe online tool , but it didn't work.

    Hoy there! Did any advice given here help you at all? How big is the file,
    can it be seen by us? What are you using for reader? If Acrobat there is a
    menu item that gives the permissions, have you looked at this for a start?

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 16, 2005