PDF->XML without FO-fuzz or good stylesheet-editor?

Discussion in 'XML' started by dunklervater@yahoo.com, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello group,
    our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
    The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.

    It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is normally
    either
    a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
    b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
    c. doing your own raw pdf from XML

    "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
    "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
    with TeX

    So...

    ....either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
    stylesheet editor,
    in which we can visually design the page layout before.

    ....or there is an easier was I have not thought of (of course we could
    be doing it by
    automating structured framemaker, but we would like a more generic way
    of doing it)

    I would be most grateful for any input.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bye.
    FK.

    , Jan 16, 2006

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello group,
    > our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
    > The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.
    >
    > It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is normally
    > either
    > a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
    > b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
    > c. doing your own raw pdf from XML
    >
    > "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
    > "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
    > with TeX

    There are probably many people who do, though, and it has the
    advantage that LaTeX already has a very thorough "understanding"
    of what a document is and how to create one: a huge amount of the
    formatting requirements can be automated using this method.

    > So...
    >
    > ...either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
    > stylesheet editor, in which we can visually design the page layout before.

    Are you having a designer design the page layout or is this DIY?

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Mark Guest

    wrote:

    > our shop might be faced with producing pdfs from XML soon.
    > The XML can be counted on to at least well-formed, if not valid.
    >
    > It seems that the normal way of producing a pdf from XML is
    > normally either
    > a. going from XML to FO via XSLT and to PDF via a FOP
    > b. going from XML to TeX via XSLT and to PDF via TeX/LaTeX
    > c. doing your own raw pdf from XML
    >
    > "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
    > "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least
    > experience with TeX

    Another option to consider is XML+CSS. YesLogic's Prince product is
    probably the best out there for advanced CSS 2.1 support.

    http://www.princexml.com/

    (I see Prince passes the Acid2 test.)

    Mark, Jan 17, 2006

    Peter Flynn wrote:

    > > "c." is much too cumbersome for us.
    > > "b" is out of the question for us, as nobody has the least experience
    > > with TeX

    > There are probably many people who do, though, and it has the
    > advantage that LaTeX already has a very thorough "understanding"
    > of what a document is and how to create one: a huge amount of the
    > formatting requirements can be automated using this method.

    This might be so, but it is so much terra incognita for us.

    > > So...
    > >
    > > ...either we do it the "a" way, but would then need a very good
    > > stylesheet editor, in which we can visually design the page layout before.

    > Are you having a designer design the page layout or is this DIY?

    Either we ourselves or together with the client. Thing is, in any case
    we would
    either have to mimick a certain layout very closely or have the freedom
    to easily do any layout.

    Thanks for the answer.
    Cheers.

    , Jan 17, 2006