PDFs in Acrobat Reader 6.0 with IE 6.0 over Tomcat with Content-Disposition inline can not be displa

siarsky

Hello,

our configuration:

Server SUN Solaris:
Apache/1.3.24 with mod_jk/1.2.1
Jakarta Tomcat 4.1.29
JDK 1.4.2_03

Client:
IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.02828-1920
Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 (3.11.2003)

Situation: Server sends a PDF file from DB as:

1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:51:21 GMT
3 Server: Apache
4 Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=004B5FF4E59C4ED22F45DB0816AFF5A4; Path=/
5 Content-Disposition: inline;filename=file1_6974.pdf
7 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
8 Connection: Keep-Alive
9 Content-Type: application/pdf;charset=ISO-8859-1

This response is working:
1. in Mozilla 1.2 with Acrobat Reader 5.0/6.0
2. in IE 6.0 with Acrobat Reader 5.0

in IE 6.0 + AR 6.0 the empty white page will be display - you see
the loading of the plugin [copyright comes], but there is no output

if I change the line 5 as:

5 Content-Disposition: attachment;filename=file1_6974.pdf

the code is working in (the difference is in the popup, which comes
with this solution - and then I click on open):
1. in Mozilla 1.2 with Acrobat Reader 5.0/6.0
2. in IE 6.0 with Acrobat Reader 5.0/6.0

My goal is to display the PDFs without a popup comming up:
I have found only one difference: if I generate the same response
over PHP (and PHP adds no charset to Content-Type):

9 Content-Type: application/pdf

(so Content-Type header will be sent without charset coding),
such a response will be displayed properly by IE 6.0 with AR 6.0.

Does anybody know such a problem?

Is a combination IE 6.0, AR 6.0, Content-Disposition: inline; over Tomcat
working for you?

Is it possible to force Tomcat to not send the charset coding in
Content-Type (which is added automatictly by Tomcat)?

Is it a AR 6.0 bug - but only in combination with IE 6.0?

I would be happy to hear about your experiences.

Thanks
Branislav