Peculiar HTML?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Kell Gatherer, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. I've been asked to comment on the new web site that's been put together
    for my local amenity group, the Soho Society here in London.

    See www.thesohosociety.org.uk

    The site claims to be compliant with the Web Accessibility Initiative,
    however the opening page is pure Javascript, and from what I can make out
    is padded out with an unnecessary (and corrupted) JPEG, which I think is
    there to calculate the speed of the connection or summat.

    I've tried the site with Javascript switched off, and also using the
    browser in my Nokia Communicator, and in both instances the opening page
    is entirely blank. With Javascript switched on, the site makes an attempt
    to discover which browser I'm using, and then pump differing content to me
    according to what it thinks it has found out. If the site suspects you
    are not using a standard version of Internet Explorer, for example, it
    assumes that you are not using a mouse, and so sends out pages which show
    keyboard short-cuts which work in, er, Internet Explorer.

    I'm going to an executive meeting of the Society this evening, and will be
    expected to comment. Does anyone agree with me that the site's
    "accessibility" might be improved?

    --
    Kell Gatherer
    is now a SPAMTRAP
    Kell Gatherer, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Kell Gatherer

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Kell Gatherer <> wrote:

    > I'm going to an executive meeting of the Society this evening, and will be
    > expected to comment. Does anyone agree with me that the site's
    > "accessibility" might be improved?

    It does not meet WCAG1.0 checkpoint 6.3. Since it does not pass WCAG
    priority-1 level accessibility it is not compliant with WAI guidelines.

    "And if you use applets and scripts (Priority 1)
    6.3 Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
    programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
    possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
    page"

    http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-scripts

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Kell Gatherer

    kchayka Guest

    Kell Gatherer wrote:

    > See www.thesohosociety.org.uk
    >
    > The site claims to be compliant with the Web Accessibility Initiative,

    Try accessing it with cookies disabled.

    kchayka, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Kell Gatherer

    rf Guest

    Kell Gatherer wrote:

    > See www.thesohosociety.org.uk
    >
    > The site claims to be compliant with the Web Accessibility Initiative,

    Whoever said that is either lying or has no idea about web accessibility.

    The WAI aside I hade a quick look.

    The first glaring accessibility issue I found is the main navigation. This
    is an image of some text and a bad one at that. It is also eight pixels
    high. This is less than half the size I prefer my text to be. Being an image
    of text it is not resizable in most browsers and the one it is resizable in
    simply can not copy with the poor quality of the image. The only saving
    point is that there is alt text but this then turns it into mystery meat
    navigation. Google for this term if you don't now what it means.

    This site, with its microscopic and almost invisible navigation is IMHO
    intentionally discriminating against partially sighted people. In Australia
    (and IIRC the UK) this can be illegal.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Kell Gatherer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:52:00 +0000 (GMT), Kell Gatherer
    <> wrote:

    >I've been asked to comment on the new web site that's been put together
    >for my local amenity group, the Soho Society here in London.
    >
    >See www.thesohosociety.org.uk

    >The site claims to be compliant with the Web Accessibility Initiative,

    It's abyssmal.

    However I think you're facing an impossible problem trying to build
    good web design anywhere near Soho. There are far too many dezsyner
    wankers cruising its streets and you'll find it impossible to _not_
    have one of these idiots get themselves involved. Just be grateful it
    isn't all in Flash.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Kell Gatherer wrote:
    > I've been asked to comment on the new web site that's been put together
    > for my local amenity group, the Soho Society here in London.
    >
    > See www.thesohosociety.org.uk

    What the hell with this tiny design? I'm very impressed that on my
    1600x1200 screen about 1/15 only is used for showing me the website. The
    rest is white! Maybe I should only have a 320x200 display? I think even
    the oldest version of Windows still available is not capable of using
    such monitors. On a palm or a cell-phone, OK but on a modern computer
    that's awfull.

    Xavier
    Xavier Perseguers, Dec 15, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:52:00 +0000 (GMT), Kell Gatherer
    > <> wrote:

    > >I've been asked to comment on the new web site that's been put together
    > >for my local amenity group, the Soho Society here in London.
    > >
    > >See www.thesohosociety.org.uk

    > >The site claims to be compliant with the Web Accessibility Initiative,

    > It's abyssmal.

    > However I think you're facing an impossible problem trying to build
    > good web design anywhere near Soho. There are far too many dezsyner
    > wankers cruising its streets and you'll find it impossible to _not_
    > have one of these idiots get themselves involved. Just be grateful it
    > isn't all in Flash.

    Thanks for the comments. I largely agree, however I live and work in Soho
    and, at the risk of poking my head above the parapet, rather hope my own
    web site would not fit into the above category :)

    Kell Gatherer, Dec 16, 2004