PEP 11 update - Call for port maintainers to step forward

Discussion in 'Python' started by skip@pobox.com, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I made a quick update to PEP 11, "Removing support for little used
    platforms". I added details about ending support for AtheOS/Syllable and
    BeOS.

    I also added a yet-to-be-fleshed out section entitled "Platform
    Maintainers". I intend that to the extent possible we document the
    responsible parties for various platforms. Obviously, common platforms like
    Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and common Unix platforms (Solaris, *BSD, what
    else?) will continue to be supported by the core Python developer
    community, but lesser platforms should have one or more champions, and we
    should be able to get ahold of them to determine their continued interest in
    supporting Python on their platform(s). If you are the "owner" of a minor
    platform, please drop me a note. Ones I'm aware of that probably need
    specialized support outside the core Python developers include:

    IRIX
    Tru64 (aka OSF/1 and other names (what else?))
    OS2/EMX (Andrew MacIntyre?)
    Cygwin
    MinGW
    HP-UX
    AIX
    Solaris < version 8
    SCO
    Unixware

    IRIX and Tru64 are likely to go the way of the dodo if someone doesn't step
    up soon to offer support. I don't expect the others to disappear soon, but
    they tend to need more specialized support, especially in more "challenging"
    areas (shared library support, threading, etc).

    If you maintain the platform-specific aspects for any of these platforms,
    please let me know. If you aren't that person but know who is, please pass
    this note along to them. If I've missed any other platforms (I know I must
    have have missed something), let me know that as well.

    Thanks,

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
    , Aug 18, 2007