Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    generates an error?

    http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

    I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
    running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.

    When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their network IE
    6 crashes with this:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

    R 6025
    - pure virtual function call

    This happens on both XP and 2K. It only happens with this page on this
    site. It happens about 75% of the time. Doesn't happen with any other
    sites to my knowledge, though I only tried 20 or 30. Needless to say it
    doesn't happen with other browsers.

    Here's the really weird bit:

    None of the other pages on the site generate the error, only index.php and
    whatsNew.php, which is the same thing -- index.php is just include(
    "whatsNew.php" );.

    If I take the output from index.php, and paste it into a new document and
    put it on the server, that page doesn't crash IE:
    http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/test3.html

    If I embed index.php in an object element inside index.html, and load
    index.html, it doesn't crash:
    http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

    If I navigate to the page from another page, it never crashes. Only if I
    type/paste the url it into the address bar, or click refresh on one of the
    occasions when it hasn't crashed it.

    WTF???

    I can't get it to crash under IE 6 on any of the machines in my office, only
    on machines on their network. Wide range of hardware.

    I wouldn't even have a clue how to start tracking this down, any ideas?

    Is it likely to be anything to do with IIS?

    Google has been less than helpful. The only other thing I can find to do
    with IE is that streaming audio/video in IE 6 can cause this error, and I
    have neither of these.

    Does anyone know of any other newsgroups that might be more suitable for
    asking this in? Of course, if I then follow that up I will be guilty of
    multiposting (sigh).

    Please excuse my including alt.html in my crossposting, but I am desperate
    and I know a lot of very smart people lurk there.

    --
    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
    typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Nik Coughin

    DoobieDo Guest

    In article <qbdVd.5853$>, nrkn!no-spam!
    @woosh.co.nz says...
    > Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    > generates an error?

    It all seems to be OK here using IE 6.0

    DoobieDo, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Nik Coughin

    Matt Probert Guest

    Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <>
    spluttered

    >Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    >generates an error?

    What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
    6 (XP).

    Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
    whether you just want to generate some traffic.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

    Matt Probert, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Nik Coughin wrote :
    > Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    > generates an error?
    >
    > http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

    I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.

    However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.

    Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you
    will need to run .css files through the php interpreter.

    Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....

    instead of....
    @import url( ./css/box.php );

    use the
    <link rel=......

    see if that fixes your prob.

    Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i
    dont know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large"
    css streams.

    --
    eating alone is medicinal

    Disco Octopus, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Disco Octopus wrote :
    > Nik Coughin wrote :
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    >> generates an error?
    >>
    >> http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
    >>

    > I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.
    >
    > However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.
    >
    > Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you will
    > need to run .css files through the php interpreter.
    >
    > Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....
    >
    > instead of....
    > @import url( ./css/box.php );
    >
    > use the
    > <link rel=......
    >
    > see if that fixes your prob.
    >
    > Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i dont
    > know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large" css
    > streams.

    could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
    index.html.....

    <object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
    height="100%"></object>

    --
    dont pick your nose if it is sore

    Disco Octopus, Mar 2, 2005
  6. Nik Coughin

    mscir Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
    > generates an error?

    No error here.

    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    > Runtime Error!
    > Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    > R 6025
    > - pure virtual function call

    Are you running Symantec antivirus? Do you have file "rpawinet.dll"?
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ontact_tscs_solve.html&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=
    http://forum.iamnotageek.com/history/topic.php/712153-1.html
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=452169

    Do you have script debugging enabled?
    http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-29799.html
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20719707.html

    If all else fails... could it be a permissions issue?
    http://in53.plexisgroup.com/reportproblem/IEerror.cfm

    Mike

    mscir, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Matt Probert wrote:
    > Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <>
    > spluttered
    >
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
    >> know if it generates an error?

    > Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
    > whether you just want to generate some traffic.

    I wish! I've spent all afternoon trying to work out WTF is going on. Not
    good when the client's own site crashes computers on their own network, for
    no apparent reason.

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Disco Octopus wrote:
    >> Nik Coughin wrote :
    >>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
    >>> know if it generates an error?

    > could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
    > index.html.....

    > <object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
    > height="100%"></object>

    Nope, it's index.php that crashes IE, not index.html (despite it only being
    a wrapper for index.php). The only reason that object thingy exists is
    because it prevents the crash, bizarrely.

    Crashes: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
    Doesn't crash: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    mscir wrote:
    > Nik Coughin wrote:
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
    >> know if it generates an error?

    > No error here.
    >
    >> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >> Runtime Error!
    >> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    >> R 6025
    >> - pure virtual function call

    > Are you running Symantec antivirus? Do you have file "rpawinet.dll"?

    No.

    > Do you have script debugging enabled?

    No.

    > If all else fails... could it be a permissions issue?
    > http://in53.plexisgroup.com/reportproblem/IEerror.cfm

    Hi Mike, this page constantly times out for me and I cannot access it, so
    I'm not sure.

    Thank you so much for obviously going out of your way to try and help!

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > mscir wrote:
    >> Nik Coughin wrote:
    >>> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
    >>> know if it generates an error?

    >> Do you have script debugging enabled?

    > No.

    Hey, I just saw this at
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20719707.html:

    "went to internet options and advanced tab and Disable script debugging was
    already selected so i removed check mark and closed it out and went back in
    and reselected it now everything works properly"

    Will try that tomorrow morning when I go back in.

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Nik Coughin

    mscir Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    <snip>
    > Hey, I just saw this at
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20719707.html:
    >
    > "went to internet options and advanced tab and Disable script debugging was
    > already selected so i removed check mark and closed it out and went back in
    > and reselected it now everything works properly"
    >
    > Will try that tomorrow morning when I go back in.

    Luck!

    mscir, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Nik Coughin

    Els Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Disco Octopus wrote:

    >> could it perhaps be something to do with the object
    >> reference thing in index.html.....

    >> <object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
    >> height="100%"></object>

    > Nope, it's index.php that crashes IE, not index.html
    > (despite it only being a wrapper for index.php). The only
    > reason that object thingy exists is because it prevents the
    > crash, bizarrely.
    >
    > Crashes: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
    > Doesn't crash: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

    FWIW, I have JavaScript and ActiveX disabled in IE6, and
    index.php loads just fine (although the logo/title at the top
    doesn't display), but the index.html gives a blank page and a
    security warning that I didn't allow ActiveX controls to be
    used.

    When I set the security to normal, both index.php and
    index.html work without problems.

    (IE6 on XP-SP2)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Mar 2, 2005
  13. Nik Coughin

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nik Coughin"
    <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> writing in

    > Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know
    > if it generates an error?
    >
    > http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
    >
    > I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
    > running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.
    >
    > When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their
    > network IE 6 crashes with this:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    > Runtime Error!
    > Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    >
    > R 6025
    > - pure virtual function call

    Yippie! Do I get a door prize? I got that very same error.

    I'm running XP S2 with IIS 5.1, IE 6.0.290.

    I found this little tidbit at Micro$oft:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125749>

    and I found a few Googles that mention something about Power Point.

    I have Power Point on my system.

    I also checked my system logs to see if there was anything reported there,
    but nothing.

    There must be something in the PHP. Start stripping things out until the
    error doesn't occur.
    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Mar 2, 2005
  14. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nik Coughin"
    > <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> writing in
    >
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know
    >> if it generates an error?

    > Yippie! Do I get a door prize? I got that very same error.

    Thanks, but ah crap, that means it isn't isolated to their network.

    > I'm running XP S2 with IIS 5.1, IE 6.0.290.
    >
    > I found this little tidbit at Micro$oft:
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125749>
    >
    > and I found a few Googles that mention something about Power Point.
    >
    > I have Power Point on my system.

    I have it on this system too, but no crashes. I will have a Google on that
    though, thanks.

    > There must be something in the PHP. Start stripping things out until
    > the error doesn't occur.

    That's the bizarre thing (or one of them anyway) -- the output from the php,
    which the browser *should* treat exactly the same way, doesn't cause the
    crash. None of the other pages do either, and they share a lot of the same
    code. I may try it anyway, getting desperate here.

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  15. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Els wrote:

    > FWIW, I have JavaScript and ActiveX disabled in IE6, and
    > index.php loads just fine (although the logo/title at the top
    > doesn't display), but the index.html gives a blank page and a
    > security warning that I didn't allow ActiveX controls to be
    > used.
    >
    > When I set the security to normal, both index.php and
    > index.html work without problems.
    >
    > (IE6 on XP-SP2)

    That's to be expected -- logo is loaded by an ActiveX filter in this
    instance (workaround for no png transparency in IE), and the index.html has
    the page inserted via object. Thanks for checking!

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    DoobieDo wrote:
    > In article <qbdVd.5853$>, nrkn!no-spam!
    > @woosh.co.nz says...
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me
    >> know if it generates an error?

    > It all seems to be OK here using IE 6.0

    Cheers

    Nik Coughin, Mar 2, 2005
  17. Nik Coughin

    R2G2 Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:41:28 +1300, "Nik Coughin"
    <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

    >> FWIW, I have JavaScript and ActiveX disabled in IE6, and
    >> index.php loads just fine (although the logo/title at the top
    >> doesn't display), but the index.html gives a blank page and a
    >> security warning that I didn't allow ActiveX controls to be
    >> used.
    >>
    >> When I set the security to normal, both index.php and
    >> index.html work without problems.
    >>
    >> (IE6 on XP-SP2)

    >That's to be expected -- logo is loaded by an ActiveX filter in this
    >instance (workaround for no png transparency in IE)

    <snip>
    *.gif has transparency in IE

    --
    Beccy

    Bec but...

    R2G2, Mar 2, 2005
  18. On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:59:29 GMT, Matt Probert
    <> wrote:

    > Once upon a time, far far away "Nik Coughin" <>
    > spluttered
    >
    >> Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know
    >> if it
    >> generates an error?
    >>

    > What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
    > 6 (XP).

    No errors here either.

    > Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
    > whether you just want to generate some traffic.

    huh? oh, making mischief eh? <g> would indeed be an extremely cynical
    view - even the listed phone numbers appear to my untrained eye to be
    local.

    btw: 'About us' <http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/aboutUs.php> splendid
    alternative to the usual even if the 'office manager' does look a little
    scary.

    --
    which way is up?

    William Tasso, Mar 2, 2005
  19. Nik Coughin

    Els Guest

    R2G2 wrote:

    >>That's to be expected -- logo is loaded by an ActiveX
    >>filter in this instance (workaround for no png transparency
    >>in IE)

    > <snip>
    >
    > *.gif has transparency in IE

    So has png-8, but the image Nik is using needs a transparent
    shadow, which can't be displayed by either gif or png-8.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Mar 2, 2005