Perfectly valid website crashing IE

Nik Coughin

Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.

When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their network IE
6 crashes with this:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

R 6025
- pure virtual function call

This happens on both XP and 2K. It only happens with this page on this
site. It happens about 75% of the time. Doesn't happen with any other
sites to my knowledge, though I only tried 20 or 30. Needless to say it
doesn't happen with other browsers.

Here's the really weird bit:

None of the other pages on the site generate the error, only index.php and
whatsNew.php, which is the same thing -- index.php is just include(
"whatsNew.php" );.

If I take the output from index.php, and paste it into a new document and
put it on the server, that page doesn't crash IE:
http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/test3.html

If I embed index.php in an object element inside index.html, and load
index.html, it doesn't crash:
http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

If I navigate to the page from another page, it never crashes. Only if I
type/paste the url it into the address bar, or click refresh on one of the
occasions when it hasn't crashed it.

WTF???

I can't get it to crash under IE 6 on any of the machines in my office, only
on machines on their network. Wide range of hardware.

I wouldn't even have a clue how to start tracking this down, any ideas?

Is it likely to be anything to do with IIS?

Google has been less than helpful. The only other thing I can find to do
with IE is that streaming audio/video in IE 6 can cause this error, and I
have neither of these.

Does anyone know of any other newsgroups that might be more suitable for
asking this in? Of course, if I then follow that up I will be guilty of
multiposting (sigh).

Please excuse my including alt.html in my crossposting, but I am desperate
and I know a lot of very smart people lurk there.

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

DoobieDo

nrkn!no-spam! said:
Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

It all seems to be OK here using IE 6.0

Matt Probert

Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
6 (XP).

Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
whether you just want to generate some traffic.

Matt

Disco Octopus

Nik Coughin wrote :
Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.

However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.

Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you
will need to run .css files through the php interpreter.

Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....

instead of....
@import url( ./css/box.php );

use the
<link rel=......

see if that fixes your prob.

Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i
dont know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large"
css streams.

Disco Octopus

Disco Octopus wrote :
Nik Coughin wrote :

I cant see the problem you are having on my IE6.

However, it may be something to do with the CSS files.

Try renaming them to the .css rather than .php, and if its necesary you will
need to run .css files through the php interpreter.

Also, try not "impoting", instead just "link" them....

instead of....
@import url( ./css/box.php );

use the
<link rel=......

see if that fixes your prob.

Also, it may be that the CSS files are "large" what does that mean? i dont
know... but I know that IE6 is 'slow' to sometimes render "large" css
streams.

could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
index.html.....

<object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
height="100%"></object>

mscir

Nik said:
Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know if it
generates an error?

No error here.
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
R 6025
- pure virtual function call

Are you running Symantec antivirus? Do you have file "rpawinet.dll"?
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ontact_tscs_solve.html&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/history/topic.php/712153-1.html
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=452169

Do you have script debugging enabled?
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-29799.html
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20719707.html

If all else fails... could it be a permissions issue?
http://in53.plexisgroup.com/reportproblem/IEerror.cfm

Mike

Nik Coughin

Matt said:
Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
whether you just want to generate some traffic.

I wish! I've spent all afternoon trying to work out WTF is going on. Not
good when the client's own site crashes computers on their own network, for
no apparent reason.

Nik Coughin

Disco said:
could it perhaps be something to do with the object reference thing in
index.html.....

<object data="index.php" type="text/html" width="100%"
height="100%"></object>

Nope, it's index.php that crashes IE, not index.html (despite it only being
a wrapper for index.php). The only reason that object thingy exists is
because it prevents the crash, bizarrely.

Crashes: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
Doesn't crash: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

Els

Nik said:
Nope, it's index.php that crashes IE, not index.html
(despite it only being a wrapper for index.php). The only
reason that object thingy exists is because it prevents the
crash, bizarrely.

Crashes: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php
Doesn't crash: http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.html

FWIW, I have JavaScript and ActiveX disabled in IE6, and
index.php loads just fine (although the logo/title at the top
doesn't display), but the index.html gives a blank page and a
security warning that I didn't allow ActiveX controls to be
used.

When I set the security to normal, both index.php and
index.html work without problems.

(IE6 on XP-SP2)

Adrienne

Could anyone using IE 6 please test this site for me, and let me know
if it generates an error?

http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

I have just installed the site onto the client's webserver. They are
running IIS. The HTML and CSS both validate.

When I try to access the site from any of the computers on their
network IE 6 crashes with this:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

R 6025
- pure virtual function call

Yippie! Do I get a door prize? I got that very same error.

I'm running XP S2 with IIS 5.1, IE 6.0.290.

I found this little tidbit at Micro$oft:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125749>

and I found a few Googles that mention something about Power Point.

I have Power Point on my system.

I also checked my system logs to see if there was anything reported there,
but nothing.

There must be something in the PHP. Start stripping things out until the
error doesn't occur.

Nik Coughin

Adrienne said:
Yippie! Do I get a door prize? I got that very same error.

Thanks, but ah crap, that means it isn't isolated to their network.
I'm running XP S2 with IIS 5.1, IE 6.0.290.

I found this little tidbit at Micro$oft:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125749>

and I found a few Googles that mention something about Power Point.

I have Power Point on my system.

I have it on this system too, but no crashes. I will have a Google on that
though, thanks.
There must be something in the PHP. Start stripping things out until
the error doesn't occur.

That's the bizarre thing (or one of them anyway) -- the output from the php,
which the browser *should* treat exactly the same way, doesn't cause the
crash. None of the other pages do either, and they share a lot of the same
code. I may try it anyway, getting desperate here.

Nik Coughin

Els said:
FWIW, I have JavaScript and ActiveX disabled in IE6, and
index.php loads just fine (although the logo/title at the top
doesn't display), but the index.html gives a blank page and a
security warning that I didn't allow ActiveX controls to be
used.

When I set the security to normal, both index.php and
index.html work without problems.

(IE6 on XP-SP2)

That's to be expected -- logo is loaded by an ActiveX filter in this
instance (workaround for no png transparency in IE), and the index.html has
the page inserted via object. Thanks for checking!

William Tasso

What a surprise...It doesn't generate any errors when I visit with IE
6 (XP).

No errors here either.
Not me, but a cynic might wonder if there is really a problem, or
whether you just want to generate some traffic.

huh? oh, making mischief eh? <g> would indeed be an extremely cynical
view - even the listed phone numbers appear to my untrained eye to be
local.

btw: 'About us' <http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/aboutUs.php> splendid
alternative to the usual even if the 'office manager' does look a little
scary.

Els

R2G2 said:
<snip>

*.gif has transparency in IE

So has png-8, but the image Nik is using needs a transparent
shadow, which can't be displayed by either gif or png-8.