Performance and Scalability in asp.NET 2.0

Guest

Hello,

I have afew questions regarding performace and scalability.
Recently i got contracted to build a new chat system in asp.net, the company
that contracted me already have have a major Chat System in Perl but need to
create a new System with more functions, easier template management and,
quote "Don't lag as much as the scripts we currently use". One of the major
topics is this "lag" issue, sometimes they have upto 10-15 thousand users
online at the same time, thats quite abit and requires extra planning. Since
I am using asp.NET 2.0 c# to build the System in i have afew questions about
the new components in asp.net 2.0.
Like the user and role managements, how well do they perform if the site has
200-300 thousand users and online at the same time around 10-15 thousands?
Also the Profile component to allow personalized user settings for 200-300
thousand users.
Is there a way to simulate users to an asp.net page and see how well the
pages perform? Like simulate 10000 of users and see a graph with the
performance and maybe also the averge times that each individual tasks take
(each SQL statement for instance). How well is "atlas" integrated into the
asp.net framework, will alot of ajax code on each page perform alot faster
then not using Ajax. I know that with ajax you dont have to post the html
code between the server and client more then necessary. Also does it make a
diffrence if i use one chat page to handle all users that is online or should
i dynamicly create multiple aspx pages for each static chat room, does it
have any effect on performance?

regards
Patrick