Performance and Scalability in asp.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBG?=, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have afew questions regarding performace and scalability.
    Recently i got contracted to build a new chat system in asp.net, the company
    that contracted me already have have a major Chat System in Perl but need to
    create a new System with more functions, easier template management and,
    quote "Don't lag as much as the scripts we currently use". One of the major
    topics is this "lag" issue, sometimes they have upto 10-15 thousand users
    online at the same time, thats quite abit and requires extra planning. Since
    I am using asp.NET 2.0 c# to build the System in i have afew questions about
    the new components in asp.net 2.0.
    Like the user and role managements, how well do they perform if the site has
    200-300 thousand users and online at the same time around 10-15 thousands?
    Also the Profile component to allow personalized user settings for 200-300
    thousand users.
    Is there a way to simulate users to an asp.net page and see how well the
    pages perform? Like simulate 10000 of users and see a graph with the
    performance and maybe also the averge times that each individual tasks take
    (each SQL statement for instance). How well is "atlas" integrated into the
    asp.net framework, will alot of ajax code on each page perform alot faster
    then not using Ajax. I know that with ajax you dont have to post the html
    code between the server and client more then necessary. Also does it make a
    diffrence if i use one chat page to handle all users that is online or should
    i dynamicly create multiple aspx pages for each static chat room, does it
    have any effect on performance?

    regards
    Patrick

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBG?=, Sep 28, 2006