    (scalability and performance) but I couldn't find any. If anyone knows
    any link which has scalability of performance graph of ASP vs. JSP,
    please let me know.
    tharma, Sep 13, 2005

  2. tharma wrote:
    > I was wondering if some one provides some information about scalability
    > and performance of ASP vs JSP.....

    A quick google for "Performance comparison of JSP and ASP" resulted in
    a plethora of information.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Sep 13, 2005

  3. tharma

    SpaceGirl Guest

    tharma wrote:
    > I was wondering if some one provides some information about scalability
    > and performance of ASP vs JSP.
    >
    > Scalability of JSP vs. ASP (which one is better?)
    >
    > Performance of JSP vs. ASP (which has better performance?)
    >
    > I have been looking for graphs, and charts that compare JSP vs. ASP
    > (scalability and performance) but I couldn't find any. If anyone knows
    > any link which has scalability of performance graph of ASP vs. JSP,
    > please let me know.

    From experience; While JSP (java) is more scalable, it is a LOT slower
    than ASP on similar hardware. I dont think there is a black and white
    answer - it totally depends what you are doing. ASP may be faster at
    some things, and JSP may be faster at other things. You also dont make
    clear what versions you are talking about. ASP.NET is very scalable,
    whereas regular ASP is not quite so object-orientated so that limits you
    a bit. Java is very object-orientated, but has a lot of layers to it
    which can slow development and execution down in some cases.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.
    SpaceGirl, Sep 13, 2005
  4. tharma

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, SpaceGirl scraped:

    > Java is very object-orientated, but has a lot of layers to it
    > which can slow development and execution down in some cases.

    Back when I was learning Java, I was told that it is approximately 100x
    slower than C equivalent due to the "virtual machine" execution style. I
    don't know how this compares with ASP.NET though, as that has a similar
    execution style.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Sep 13, 2005
  5. tharma

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:

    > tharma wrote:
    > > I was wondering if some one provides some information about scalability
    > > and performance of ASP vs JSP.....

    > A quick google for "Performance comparison of JSP and ASP" resulted in
    > a plethora of information.

    Yes but dharma's not interested in plethoras; she wants performance and
    I can't say that I blame her...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Sep 13, 2005
  6. tharma

    Jim Higson Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, SpaceGirl scraped:
    >
    >> Java is very object-orientated, but has a lot of layers to it
    >> which can slow development and execution down in some cases.

    > Back when I was learning Java, I was told that it is approximately 100x
    > slower than C equivalent due to the "virtual machine" execution style. I
    > don't know how this compares with ASP.NET though, as that has a similar
    > execution style.

    100x is a pretty big exaggeration. Modern JVMs have just-in-time
    compilation, so they're really running native machine code for the most
    often used bits (badly optimised native code, but at least not directly
    interpreted byte code)

    IME good Java takes about 1.5 to 3 times what good C++ would. It depends
    what you're doing of course, if the ap is heavily dependant on a database
    that might be the bottleneck anyway.
    Jim Higson, Sep 13, 2005