Performance Counters not working from ASP.NET

Brian Newtz

Hi everyone,

I posted this question to a yahoo group a while back but no one was able to
figure out my problem... I really want to get this fixed, so I'll repost the
message here:

I'm trying to look at performance counter data (any category, any counter)
via an aspx page that I'm writing, but almost all of the samples come back
as zero.

To check myself, I made a win forms app that does the equivalent thing, and
I get real (non-zero) figures that are pretty close in line with perfmon.

The processmodel account of the asp.net process is a domain account. From
what I've read, if you don't have access to the performance counters you
should get access denied when trying to read from them. I don't get errors -
I get the names, help text, etc., and a value of zero. Because of this, I
wouldn't think that security was a problem.

I've already made sure that the domain account has full access to the
HKLM\...\perflib key.

I see this behavior on my development winXP machine, as well as on my
production win2K machine.

I sent my code to members of the other group I posted this message in, and
they were able to get values just fine. So I know it's not my code that's
wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Brian