Performance Hit of Debug='true' and No PDB Files

johdi

Hey there,

This is no doubt demonstrating how cruddy my understanding is - what
are the performance implications of having left the Debug=true value
in your web.config file but not building/deploying the PDB symbol
file?

Thanks for your help.

Natty Gur

Hi

Debugging mode can hit performance for some reasons :

1) Debugging mode change the timing objects will be available for GC (in
release mode objects that use once in method available for GC after the
call).

2) Debugging mode turn off JIT optimization and tell .NET runtime to
track how objects
used.

3) Debug mode causes ASP.NET to compile applications with extra
information that enables a debugger to closely monitor and control the
execution of an application. there is dedicate handler for debugging :
HttpDebugHandler, that get called when application instance create.

4) Code that you write using Conditional Compilation Statements or
System.Diagnostics.Conditional("DEBUG") attribute will run.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)52-8888377

Scott Allen

In addition to Natty's points, I believe you also lose the benefits of
batch compiling the ASPX files. This can lead to the runtime
generating an excessive number of assemblies.