Performance hit running 1.1 assembly in 2.0?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Franks, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    I have a web site built using ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. If also
    have a C# assembly that was compiled using VS 2003, so this assembly runs
    under the 1.1 framework.

    If I use this assembly built for the 1.1 framework within my web app that
    uses the 2.0 framework, is there any performance penalty incurred here? In
    other words, am I creating some sort of "cross boundary" communication that
    has to occur between the 2.0 framework and 1.1 framework? Or is there no
    performance penalty and just a matter of the 1.1 code not having access to
    specific features of the 2.0 framework.

    The dilemma I have is that I have to redistribute to developers my C# class
    library. Some developers are building ASP.NET 2.0 apps, while others are
    using 1.1. I do NOT want to wind up creating separate installations, one
    that has my 2.0 compiled assembly and another that has my 1.1 compiled
    assembly.

    I could do this within one installer package and dynamically determine the
    ..NET framework and install the appropriate version of my assembly
    accordingly. However even this approach has major problems. Specifically,
    I could easily see how someone would install on a ASP.NET 2.0 machine, and
    then wind up transferring my assembly DLL to another machine that only had
    the 1.1 framework which from what I understand would break things. Or
    likewise they may install on 1.1 and then transfer the DLL to a 2.0 machine
    and never realize the assembly was really running under the 1.1 framework on
    that machine despite their app using 2.0.

    What is a developer to do?

    Steve
    Steve Franks, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Steve Franks