Performance hit with Debug = True

Wade

Hi all,

We have a debate going on here in the office. There's one group that would
prefer to have our LIVE environment with debugging turned on, because it's
convenient when there's an error, and another (myself included) that would
prefer not to have debugging turned on. So, I ask you all: is there really
a significant overhead in having this turned on?

And by turned on, I mean that all PDB files are copied out into the \bin
folder, and the compilation tag (in the web.config) has the debug property
set to true.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Wade

Karl Seguin

PDBs don't have any performance penalties.
http://blogs.msdn.com/jaybaz_ms/archive/2004/06/29/169024.aspx

DEBUG flag does. Why not set debug=false and then turn it on only when
needed.

With debug=true, ASP.Net Jit's the pages 1 at a time as opposed to all in a
folder at a time....can be quite a big difference.

Also, debugging in production, in my opinion, should only be done if
absolutely necessary...

Karl