Performance improvement in the 2.0 framework

Guest

Can any one tell me if the performance in the 2.0 framework is improved? An
1.1 ASP.NET application performce bad once a moth we are thinking of
upgrading 2.0, should this help ore is it more likely thaht the architecture
shopuld be reviewd.

PJ6

MS will sue anyone that publically shares benchmarks of any any kind of any
portion of the Framework (or SQL Server). It's in the EULA.

Paul

Juan T. Llibre

Huh ?

That's not true at all.

See :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/redisteula.asp

*You may conduct internal benchmark testing of the .NET Framework component of the
OS Components (".NET Component"). You may disclose the results of any benchmark test
of the .NET Component, provided that you comply with the following terms:

(1) you must disclose all the information necessary for replication of the tests, including complete
and accurate details of your benchmark testing methodology, the test scripts/cases, tuning
parameters applied, hardware and software platforms tested, the name and version number
of any third party testing tool used to conduct the testing, and complete source code for the
benchmark suite/harness that is developed by or for you and used to test both the .NET
Component and the competing implementation(s);

(2) you must disclose the date(s) that you conducted the benchmark tests, along with specific
version information for all Microsoft software products tested, including the .NET Component;

(3) your benchmark testing was performed using all performance tuning and best practice guidance
set forth in the product documentation and/or on Microsoft's support web sites, and uses the latest
updates, patches and fixes available for the .NET Component and the relevant Microsoft operating
system;

(4) it shall be sufficient if you make the disclosures provided for above at a publicly available
location
such as a website, so long as every public disclosure of the results of your benchmark test
expressly
identifies the public site containing all required disclosures..."

Please don't spread FUD.

PJ6

Sorry, the info is apparently out of date. I should have checked again
before posting that.

Paul

Juan T. Llibre

That was true during the Beta period, but isn't true any longer.

Remember that Beta products have a lot of debug code in them.
It's normal for Beta code to be slower than release code.

It was quite prudent of Microsoft to prevent Beta code performance
from being compared to opponent release code performance.

That would have been an unfair comparison, and was -therefore- banned.

Once the .Net Framework was released, the prohibition was taken out
of the EULA, since head-to-head comparisons between release versions
are actually welcomed by Microsoft.

:)

PJ6

Yes, yes.

I had the pleasure of designing a purely mathematical app in .Net a while
ago, one without any UI elements, and boy did it scream. I had to double and
triple-check to make sure it actually did what it was supposed to. I was
very happy with the speed.

Paul

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

What is your source for this information?