Performance of datatable.select() func against database query orthe xquery

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mukesh, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. Mukesh

    Mukesh Guest

    Hi all

    I am developing a webportal on VS2005 and ASP.NET 2.0
    Using MsSQL SERVER 2005.
    I have some static records(around 15000) in the database.These contents
    never changed while the application is running.

    what i m doing is querying the database only once at the
    application_start event of the global.asax file and storing the records
    in dataset...and further no query to database is done for this data.
    wherever I need this data I fetch it from the dataset...through
    datatable.select(filter expression) method.this is done several time for
    a single page request and the website is high traffic portal.

    Is it an efficient way of doing or there is any other better way by
    which I can achieve the same..,as the amount of data is very
    large...approx 15,000 records.
    Plz Suggest me ..........

    Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Regards

    Deepti Yadav
    Noida
    Mukesh, Jun 13, 2007

  2. RE: Performance of datatable.select() func against database query or

    OK, I will suggest you. 15,000 rows for a select is a lot of data to display
    in an ASP.NET web application. Are your users realistically going to need to
    see all 15,000 rows? why not have a more restrictive select with some sort
    of paging mechanism if they want to move to the next page of results?

    Peter
    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jun 13, 2007

  3. RE: Performance of datatable.select() func against database query or the xquery

    Hi Deepti,

    Although you're not directly displaying all 15,000 records to end-user
    (used DataTable.Select to filter), it's still not a good idea to cache all
    15,000 records at server-side.

    I would suggest to optimize at the database side: with careful index
    design, I think you should get good performance when frequently selecting
    from the table. After all, the database server also does pretty well to
    cache data for frequently queried data.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')