Performance

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 6, 2007.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 6, 2007

  2. I realized the question below was not clear.

    Is there something that maps the trace.axd Message for each trace to the
    ASP.NET events that call methods in my code and process the aspx page?

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 6, 2007

  3. Hi Dave,

    I'm not aware of such documentation exists to describe when the default
    trace messages are output for which event. However, if you take a look at
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain using Reflector
    (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/), you can see the details such as:

    if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
    {
    this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "Begin PreInit");
    this.PerformPreInit();
    if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
    {
    this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "End PreInit");

    If the page is hang, I think you will need to use windbg to break in the
    asp.net worker process to see the call stack of the hanging thread:

    #Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277

    If you need to know which method is the slowest, you need to use Profiler:

    #Eric Jarvi : Beta 2 Whidbey ASP.NET Profiler HOWTO
    https://blogs.msdn.com/ejarvi/archive/2005/04/08/406578.aspx

    Using the "instrumentation" method and you will see which method is slowest.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Apr 9, 2007
  4. Hi;

    The problem is that the slow code is in ASP.NET, not my code. I was
    wondering if there is something I should do different to avoid that?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Hi;

    One other question - the blog say to use "Tools->Performance Tools->New
    Performance Session" but there is no Performance Tools item in my Tools or
    any other menu. I have VS 2005 Professional Edition.

    Do I need something else?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Hi Dave,

    What do you mean ASP.NET is slow? Do you mean using an empty WebForm in a
    simple Website is also slow?

    Yes the code profiling feature is only available in Visual Studio Team
    System:

    #Product Feature Comparisons
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Apr 10, 2007
  7. Yes. The login to a blank default.aspx using the login control and the ASP
    membership provider takes over 10 seconds.

    I'll look at loading the team system - we have the max MSDN subscription so
    we should have it.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=, Apr 10, 2007
  8. Hi Dave,

    Profiling should reveal which method is the slowest one. I'm looking
    forward to your findings.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Apr 11, 2007