    wide (with the proper newsreader, of course).

    TIA!

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Jan 18, 2012

  2. Yes, offtopic.

    Generally, posting images on Usenet is frowned on except in newsgroups
    specifically intended for that purpose. A picture may be worth a
    thousand words, but it takes up about as many bytes as ten thousand.

    In those binary newsgroups which do welcome images, the usual approach
    is to encode the image file in base-64 (websearch will find tools for
    this) and to post the resulting text characters. Other folks will use
    similar tools (sometimes, but not always, provided by their newsgroup
    readers) to convert that text back to a binary file.

    To make it very vaguely on topic: This is also the best approach if you
    really need to imbed an arbitrary image directly into an XML file. And
    has the same limitation: the tool used to read that file has to
    understand that this is what you intended and how to convert it back.
    Generally that's a Bad Idea unless you're dealing with digital
    signatures; more commonly, you'd just use a URI to point to a copy of
    the image available for download somewhere.

    Which is also, arguably, a better approach than posting images into a
    newsgroup.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Jan 18, 2012

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On 18/01/12 18:13, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > I have no idea where to post this. Perhaps one of you folks out there
    > can help.
    >
    > I am trying to figure out the technique used to post images in Google
    > Usenet Groups.

    You can't. Usenet is text-only. There are some special-purpose groups
    with "binaries" in their name where you can post Base64-encoded chunks
    for readers to reconstruct, but there is no method for attachments as
    their is with email.

    Incidentally, they are Usenet newsgroups. Nothing to do with Google
    except that Google provides an archive, and an interface for reading an
    posting, and is trying hard to elide the distinction between its own
    "groups" and Usenet...for some reason I can't fathom.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Jan 21, 2012
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    Simon Wright Guest

    Simon Wright, Jan 22, 2012
  5. On 1/22/2012 6:18 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
    > This isn't really true. NNTP attachments[1] are handled in almost
    > exactly the same way as Mail[2]

    Except for a very few groups, rich text/mime/attachments in Usenet are
    generally consider an Abomination and a mark of the Clueless Newbie.

    Not everything that is possible is culturally acceptable. Or a good idea.

    Still 'way off topic for _this_ newsgroup.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Jan 25, 2012
  6. Re: (Perhaps OT): How to post images in Google/Usenet newsgroups?(typo fix)

    On 1/22/2012 6:18 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
    > This isn't really true. NNTP attachments[1] are handled in almost
    > exactly the same way as Mail[2]

    Except for a very few groups, rich text/mime/attachments in Usenet are
    generally considered an Abomination and a mark of the Clueless Newbie.

    Joe Kesselman, Jan 25, 2012