Perhaps the question was not so simple?

Dick Rosser

I asked previously, but elicited no reply, the following:

Could someone please tell me how to 'marry' these two pieces
of script so that script(A)posts the desired url selected from
the select box into a popup (B). Or am I going about it the wrong
way?

(A)
<form name="form">
<select name="links">
<option value="#" selected>View Options
<option value="../page1.htm">Page 1
<option value="../page2.htm">Page 2
</select>&nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="button" name="go" value="Go!"
onClick="window.location=document.form.links.options[document.form.links.selectedIndex].value">
</form>

(B)
onClick="window.open('toolbar=no,width=300,height=270,left=10,top=10,
status=no,scrollbars=no, resize=no');return false">

Dick Rosser

"David Dorward" wrote
... after a whole 6 hours!

Nope, not a whole 6 hours, a few minutes short.

Shame, I was hoping one of the more useful members of
this NG would have responded. Perhaps, rather than
wasting bandwidth on flame (as I now appear to be
doing) you should turn your stopwatch off and go
tend your website!

Lee

Dick Rosser said:
I asked previously, but elicited no reply,

You might have gotten more responses if you used a more
informative subject line. You also need to consider that
this is a holiday for most people in the US, so there
aren't as many people watching the newsgroup, so you need
to allow more time for responses.
Could someone please tell me how to 'marry' these two pieces
of script so that script(A)posts the desired url selected from
the select box into a popup (B). Or am I going about it the wrong
way?

(A)
<form name="form">
<select name="links">
<option value="#" selected>View Options
<option value="../page1.htm">Page 1
<option value="../page2.htm">Page 2
</select>&nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="button" name="go" value="Go!"
onClick="window.location=document.form.links.options[document.form.links.selectedIndex].value">
</form>

(B)
onClick="window.open('toolbar=no,width=300,height=270,left=10,top=10,
status=no,scrollbars=no, resize=no');return false">

Change the onclick handler in (A) to
"window.open(this.form.links.options[this.form.links.selectedIndex].value,'popup','width=300,height=270,left=10,top=10')"

You should change the values to full URL's, including "http://...".
Note that you don't need to list any window options that you're setting
to "no", because that's the default if any options are listed.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:16:12 -0000

It's a holiday weekend. If you want free help I'm afraid you'll have to
wait.

It is only a holiday weekend in one country that I know of. The OP has
a UK-indicative E-address and uses a UK news service, though apparently
not at the same time. Here it is a normal weekend.

Fabian

Dr John Stockton hu kiteb:
It is only a holiday weekend in one country that I know of. The OP
has a UK-indicative E-address and uses a UK news service, though
apparently not at the same time. Here it is a normal weekend.

Ah, but I suspect a disproportionately large percentage of people here
are from the USA. Or do you also expect service to temporarily disappear
on Obon, Botswana's Independance Day, and Chairman Mao's Birthday?

I'm all for slamming US-centrism where it is due, but let's not slam the
USA unnecessarily. It demeans us all.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Fabian said:
Ah, but I suspect a disproportionately large percentage of people here
are from the USA.

I don't know what a disproportionately large percentage is to you, but
most of the people I notice are not from the US. Maybe that's why I
notice them :)

The US has a larger population than any European country alone, a high
rate of internet connectedness (although not as high as, e.g., Denmark
and Korea), and are natively speaking the language used in this group
(so there is no national group to use instead). Taking that into
consideration, I even think people from the US are not as well
represented in this group as I should expect.

I would still peg them at around 25%, but that's a guess. Only doing
statistics will be able to tell us for sure.
Or do you also expect service to temporarily disappear
on Obon, Botswana's Independance Day, and Chairman Mao's Birthday?

No. We don't expect "service" to disappear on US holdays either.
Maybe on the 24th and 25th of December, since that holiday is so
widely celebrated (but then again, the English speaking world doesn't
celebrate on the 24th, while some of us are just relaxing on the
25th). So, only maybe.
I'm all for slamming US-centrism where it is due, but let's not slam the
USA unnecessarily. It demeans us all.

Agree.

/L

Fabian

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen hu kiteb:
The US has a larger population than any European country alone, a high
rate of internet connectedness (although not as high as, e.g., Denmark
and Korea), and are natively speaking the language used in this group
(so there is no national group to use instead). Taking that into
consideration, I even think people from the US are not as well
represented in this group as I should expect.

I would still peg them at around 25%, but that's a guess. Only doing
statistics will be able to tell us for sure.

Well, the US accounts for about 4% of the world's population. So having
even 10% of teh users on this group can fairly be called
disproportioantely over-represented. I didnt calculate, but assuming
your 25% is correct, we are not disagreeing.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Dr John Stockton hu kiteb:

Ah, but I suspect a disproportionately large percentage of people here
are from the USA. Or do you also expect service to temporarily disappear
on Obon, Botswana's Independance Day, and Chairman Mao's Birthday?

Disproportionately to the population, yes; but probably less so than for
those in Western Europe who are reasonably capable in English.

But ISTM that the majority of the contributors here - those who give
answers rather than only asking - are not from the US. Remember,
everyone who has a two-letter Top Level Domain (other than .us) is non-
US, and so are many of those with longer TLDs. Everyone who posts from
time zones outside about -1000 to -0400 is outside the US; but many from
outside post as if from within those zones, especially -0800. Most non-
US indicate that status explicitly; only a small proportion of those in
the US admit it explicitly.

Moreover, ISTM that a very substantial proportion of users post from
home, outside office hours.

I'm all for slamming US-centrism where it is due, but let's not slam the
USA unnecessarily. It demeans us all.

That was merely stating indisputable facts. I know of only one other
country that celebrates Thanksgiving, but it does that on the second
Monday of October.

Those who believe that because it is a holiday in the USA everywhere
will shut own stand in need of being given enlightenment.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:29:10 +0000
<snip>
It's really a shame that the OP's question was not answered as eagerly
as all this dickering about US centrism.

You should learn, then, to think about countries other than your own
before posting parochial stupidities.

Before you posted your response, Lee had posted a solution - which
proves that the theory that (being on holiday) US contributors would be
unable to answer is not soundly based either.

Lee

Dr John Stockton said:
Before you posted your response, Lee had posted a solution - which
proves that the theory that (being on holiday) US contributors would be
unable to answer is not soundly based either.

I agree that "It's a holiday weekend" wasn't appropriate in
this newsgroup.

But I feel compelled to point out that I would probably have
answered sooner if I hadn't spent the afternoon at the zoo.