Perl 5.6.0 Compatible With Windows 2003?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by basis_consultant@hotmail.com, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    We migrated an Oracle database from NT to Windows 2003. In the NT
    box, Perl 5.6.0 was installed. In Windows 2003, we are also using
    Perl 5.6.0 (Some of the scripts had some difficulty with later
    versions) as well as the newest version of 'aspupload' to store
    'jpg' files in the Oracle database.

    The perl scripts seem to work, except for the fact that the pictures
    are not successfully inserted into Oracle. The Perl script indicates an
    'unable to open temporary file at (eval 9)..'
    error. (It is not a case of Oracle failing). We ensured that the user
    running the Perl script can access Win 2003's temp files, etc..

    I was unable to find a Website to confirm whether or not Perl v5.6.0 is
    compatible with Win 2003. Does anybody know?

    Also, any other ideas on solving Perl's 'unable to open temporary file
    at (eval 9)..' error would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance,
    SAP BASIS Consultant and Perl Newbie
    , Jan 14, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1105734152.306989.182850
    @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > We migrated an Oracle database from NT to Windows 2003. In the NT
    > box, Perl 5.6.0 was installed. In Windows 2003, we are also using
    > Perl 5.6.0 (Some of the scripts had some difficulty with later
    > versions) as well as the newest version of 'aspupload' to store
    > 'jpg' files in the Oracle database.
    >
    > The perl scripts seem to work, except for the fact that the pictures
    > are not successfully inserted into Oracle. The Perl script indicates an
    > 'unable to open temporary file at (eval 9)..'
    > error. (It is not a case of Oracle failing). We ensured that the user
    > running the Perl script can access Win 2003's temp files, etc..
    >
    > I was unable to find a Website to confirm whether or not Perl v5.6.0 is
    > compatible with Win 2003. Does anybody know?

    Dunno if this means anything but the BOHF here have:

    C:\> perl -v

    C:\> ver

    Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]

    That is Windows 2003 DataCenter edition running on some Itanium system.
    That does not mean it works but ...

    > Also, any other ideas on solving Perl's 'unable to open temporary file
    > at (eval 9)..' error would be greatly appreciated.

    I would suspect your code especially since you mentioned it does not run
    properly under 5.8. I have no idea what aspupload is but does that have
    anything to do with Perl?

    Please read the posting guidelines for this group. It seems like your
    question is highly platform dependent and there is no Perl code to
    comment on.

    Sinan.
    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > I was unable to find a Website to confirm whether or not Perl
    > v5.6.0 compatible with Win 2003. Does anybody know?

    Of course it is compatible.
    One question you can ask is "are there specific bugs in v5.6.0
    (which were fixed in v5.6.1) that will affect me running it on Windows?".

    > The perl scripts seem to work, except for the fact that the pictures
    > are not successfully inserted into Oracle. The Perl script indicates an
    > 'unable to open temporary file at (eval 9)..'

    1) Have you verified that the jpeg files were successfully uploaded?
    2) Is the correct default directory being used when it runs?
    3) The 'unable to open temporary file' line in your program should
    be changed to include the file name and the error code, such as

    open(...) or die "Unable to open temporary file $file - $!";

    > any ideas on solving Perl's 'unable to open temporary file
    > at (eval 9)..'

    Print the string before eval()ing it. Send it to a log file if
    needed. You'll need to determine exactly what was given to
    eval() to debug this.
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Jan 16, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > I was unable to find a Website to confirm whether or not Perl v5.6.0 is
    > compatible with Win 2003. Does anybody know?

    In general yes, probably. But then again nobody should be using 5.6.0!
    At the very least you should use 5.6.1.

    What you are really asking is if there are any differences between NT4
    and NT5.2 that broke anything in Perl 5.6.x (core or standard modules).

    The answer is yes and given the size of Perl and the number of changes
    from NT4 to NT5 it would be supprising if the answer was no.

    > Also, any other ideas on solving Perl's 'unable to open temporary file
    > at (eval 9)..' error would be greatly appreciated.

    IO::File->new_tmpfile in Perl 5.6 was broken by NT5.0 and I've no reason
    to suppose it is not in NT5.2. This was fixed in Perl 5.8 but AFAIK
    nobody ever back-ported the fix to 5.6. This would not be trivial (I
    looked) as a lot has changed in IO::* between 5.6 and 5.8.

    It's not as simple as a straight permissions issue, it's something more
    subtle than that. Even granting excessively liberal rights to the
    temporary directory does not seem to work arround the problem.

    See my posting on the subject (last March) here:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.moderated/msg/f5bbc6c250407b9d

    I advise you to use some other way to create temporary files or upgrade
    to 5.8 or hire someone to fix IO::File->new_tmpfile in 5.6.
    Brian McCauley, Jan 18, 2005