perl 5.8.5 segfaults on patternmatch

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by peter pilsl, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. peter pilsl

    peter pilsl Guest

    I recently discovered segfaulting of perl 5.8.5 doing many
    patternmatches like /abc.*$/ and /^.*abc/ on a big datastructure.

    I seem to able to avoid the problem by using the more accurate
    searchpatterns /abc.*/ and /.*abc/ instead, but I generally wonder what
    to do with a segfaulting perl ?

    I tried to create a very short script demonstrating the problem, but
    could not. The shortest version of my tool is still about 100 lines of
    code and the inputfile (a stored hash) is about 1M. Does it make any
    sense to upload the script, the inputfile and the coredump somewhere to
    let anyone peek into it or is it just a bug and I should be happy to
    have found a way around it?

    thnx,
    peter

    --