    because every client I had who was on a shared server had PHP module
    installed but perl was only cgi. Is perl 6 addressing any of that?

    , Feb 2, 2006

  2. brian d foy Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I used to be a perl coder but I gave it up for the (inferior) PHP
    > because every client I had who was on a shared server had PHP module
    > installed but perl was only cgi. Is perl 6 addressing any of that?

    Well, to get the same thing, you'd end up with the same restrictions
    and lack of features. Shared servers could easily install mod_perl and
    limits its functionality to output filters, but what's the point? You
    either choose to have a lot of control or to share resources with
    people who do things differently than you do.

    This problem is as solveable in Perl 5 as it will be in Perl 6. It's
    not the language that does anything fancy but the things that people
    build on top of it.

    brian d foy, Feb 3, 2006

  3. John Bokma Guest

    brian d foy <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I used to be a perl coder but I gave it up for the (inferior) PHP
    >> because every client I had who was on a shared server had PHP module
    >> installed but perl was only cgi. Is perl 6 addressing any of that?

    > Well, to get the same thing, you'd end up with the same restrictions
    > and lack of features. Shared servers could easily install mod_perl and
    > limits its functionality to output filters, but what's the point? You
    > either choose to have a lot of control or to share resources with
    > people who do things differently than you do.
    >
    > This problem is as solveable in Perl 5 as it will be in Perl 6. It's
    > not the language that does anything fancy but the things that people
    > build on top of it.

    Wouldn't it be nice to have mod_parrot and being able to run Python, PHP,
    Perl etc. ?

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)

    John Bokma, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Jeff Stampes Guest

    John Bokma wrote:

    > Wouldn't it be nice to have mod_parrot and being able to run Python, PHP,
    > Perl etc. ?

    http://www.smashing.org/mod_parrot/

    No experience, just sharing my Googling with ya'

    ~Jeff

    Jeff Stampes, Feb 3, 2006
  5. John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Feb 3, 2006

    brian d foy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I used to be a perl coder but I gave it up for the (inferior) PHP
    > > because every client I had who was on a shared server had PHP module
    > > installed but perl was only cgi. Is perl 6 addressing any of that?

    > Well, to get the same thing, you'd end up with the same restrictions
    > and lack of features. Shared servers could easily install mod_perl and
    > limits its functionality to output filters, but what's the point? You

    Really? Shared serves could easily install mod_perl? Have you been isp
    hunting lately? Why do so few of them run mod_perl in a shared
    environment? Hell, why do none of them run mod_perl in a shared
    environment? Is the entire web hosting business just all idiots, every
    one of them?

    , Feb 9, 2006
  7. wrote:
    --8<- snipped ->8--
    > Hell, why do none of them run mod_perl in a shared
    > environment?

    is that true? why?
    >Is the entire web hosting business just all idiots, every
    > one of them?

    no, i don't think so.

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Feb 10, 2006
  8. James Taylor Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Really? Shared serves could easily install mod_perl? Have you been
    > isp hunting lately? Why do so few of them run mod_perl in a shared
    > environment? Hell, why do none of them run mod_perl in a shared
    > environment?

    Isn't there an issue with mod_perl only providing one global namespace,
    or at least only one interpreter, shared by all users? I think I heard
    this was a potential security hole. Of course, this is off the top of my
    head and so I may be propagating disinformation. Hopefully someone will
    explain where I might have heard that rumour and why it's badly wrong.

    --
    James Taylor

    James Taylor, Feb 11, 2006
  9. brian d foy Guest

    In article <1halamw.69zd1s1g4e96yN%>,
    James Taylor <> wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Really? Shared serves could easily install mod_perl? Have you been
    > > isp hunting lately? Why do so few of them run mod_perl in a shared
    > > environment? Hell, why do none of them run mod_perl in a shared
    > > environment?

    My best guess is that they're users don't want it because the sharing
    restrictions limit mod_perl so much that you might as well use PHP.
    Beyond that, ISPs are businesses and they do things that make business
    sense. You might want mod_perl, but most people don't. For such a small
    market, they don't need to find and pay someone who can understand
    mod_perl administration.

    If you need mod_perl, buy one of the dedicated hosting packages.

    > Isn't there an issue with mod_perl only providing one global namespace,
    > or at least only one interpreter, shared by all users?

    PHP has the same issue. It's not like everyone gets their own apache
    instance. Things such as PHP can get around that by limiting what you
    can do, which is what mod_perl would have to do to be as safe. At that
    point, mod_perl becomes useless to you.

    brian d foy, Feb 11, 2006

    brian d foy wrote:
    > In article <1halamw.69zd1s1g4e96yN%>,
    > James Taylor <> wrote:

    > If you need mod_perl, buy one of the dedicated hosting packages.

    That sentence, right there, is the reason why PHP took off. Sun uses
    the same logic. As a result, more and more people are using php, and
    less and less are using java and perl. A lot of web sites (not all),
    start out on shared accounts and then get traffic and go dedicated.
    Shared is the seed and dedicated is the tree. The seed comes first.
    And if your seed is planted in php, guess what, you'll probably get a
    php tree. I swear, the perl community and sun are shooting themselves
    in the foot.

    , Feb 14, 2006
  11. Matt Garrish Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > brian d foy wrote:
    >> In article <1halamw.69zd1s1g4e96yN%>,
    >> James Taylor <> wrote:

    >> If you need mod_perl, buy one of the dedicated hosting packages.

    > That sentence, right there, is the reason why PHP took off. Sun uses
    > the same logic. As a result, more and more people are using php, and
    > less and less are using java and perl.

    More and more weekend hackers, perhaps, but not corporations. Most
    high-volume sites have their own servers, and don't use PHP. I only know of
    one company that is going that route, and it's only as an interim to moving
    to Java (and everyone except a couple of high-ups think the PHP stage is
    going to fail miserably, but that's another story...).

    And if PHP grows up and becomes the de facto Web standard, good for it. I'll
    still keep using Perl for all the non-Web tasks I always have.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Feb 14, 2006