perl and GDBM and FreeBSD

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jim Pazarena, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Jim Pazarena

    Jim Pazarena Guest

    I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 with Perl 5.8.6
    For unknown reasons they (FreeBSD) do not have a GDBM module
    available, however they advise to simply re-compile perl
    with GDBM native support.

    I've done that, and perl compiled without issue.
    A "make test" didn't find anything unusual.

    However I run a webmail application which uses perl & gdbm
    which is called "emu webmail". It now, with this new setup
    shows an error message at the bottom of each of it's
    generated web pages which appears to be a low-level perl (or
    GDBM) complaint which reads:

    Can't cd to : Inappropriate ioctl for device

    I recently switched from FreeBSD 4.9, and with THAT version
    (perl 5.005_03) they did indeed have a GDBM "module". .. and,
    emu webmail worked just fine.

    Can anyone offer a suggestion where to begin troubleshooting
    this? EMU tech support claims that FreeBSD must have a problem
    with their GDBM/perl system. FreeBSD newsgroup doesn't seem
    interested in my problem, so I am kinda stuck.

    Is there a way (or program available) to run perl & gdbm through
    a test suite?

    any suggestions will be gratefully received.

    Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim Pazarena, Feb 8, 2005