    I've combed the Internet with not success. Hopefully I can find an
    answer here.

    , Nov 11, 2005

    This problem goes away if I cut the number of fields in the form.
    Works fine in IIS5, but in IIS6 the forms don't work until I cut the
    size down.

    , Nov 11, 2005

  3. Alfredo_O wrote:
    > I have a Windows 2000 Server with IIS5, ActiveState Perl 5.8. We have
    > developed some web applications using Perl which run fine on the above
    > configuration. We are migrating to a Windows 2003 Server with IIS6,
    > ActiveState Perl 5.8.
    >
    > For the most part, the apps run fine on the new server, but on some
    > pages where I submit a form, I get a CGI Timeout message.

    Sounds like an IIS problem, maybe you could ask in a newsgroup that
    covers IIS?

    > The page
    > works fine on the Windows 2000 Server and loads in about 5 seconds.
    > This problem occurs for everyone except myself. When I'm logged in,
    > the application runs fine. Makes me think its a rights issue, but
    > granted full rights to the entire server to a user as a test and still
    > didn't work.

    Questions I'd be asking myself:
    What related error messages are in the IIS/system error logs?
    What is the CGI timeout set to in IIS?
    How long does the perl program take to run from command line?
    (suitably amended to run as non-CGI)
    Does the Perl script check every action for possible errors?
    (e.g. 'open ... or die " ... $!";' )
    What happens under Apache on Windows 2003?

    RedGrittyBrick, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Alfredo Guest

    > Sounds like an IIS problem, maybe you could ask in a newsgroup that covers IIS?

    I have submitted it there

    > What related error messages are in the IIS/system error logs?

    The code just indicates a CGI Timeout (502 code in error log)

    > What is the CGI timeout set to in IIS?

    Default setting (300)

    > How long does the perl program take to run from command line?

    I believe the problem is the POST is too large and that would be tough
    to duplicate from the command line.

    > Does the Perl script check every action for possible errors?

    Yes it does.

    Bottom line is I do think this is a IIS6 issue with the way it handles
    POST. I think that there is a limit that is much lower than IIS5, and
    have made some attempts to increase that limit, with no luck so far.

    Alfredo, Nov 14, 2005