Perl and IIS6

Alfredo.Ospina

I have a Windows 2000 Server with IIS5, ActiveState Perl 5.8. We have
developed some web applications using Perl which run fine on the above
configuration. We are migrating to a Windows 2003 Server with IIS6,
ActiveState Perl 5.8.

For the most part, the apps run fine on the new server, but on some
pages where I submit a form, I get a CGI Timeout message. The page
works fine on the Windows 2000 Server and loads in about 5 seconds.
This problem occurs for everyone except myself. When I'm logged in,
the application runs fine. Makes me think its a rights issue, but
granted full rights to the entire server to a user as a test and still
didn't work.

I've combed the Internet with not success. Hopefully I can find an
answer here.

Alfredo.Ospina

This problem goes away if I cut the number of fields in the form.
Works fine in IIS5, but in IIS6 the forms don't work until I cut the
size down.

RedGrittyBrick

I have a Windows 2000 Server with IIS5, ActiveState Perl 5.8. We have
developed some web applications using Perl which run fine on the above
configuration. We are migrating to a Windows 2003 Server with IIS6,
ActiveState Perl 5.8.

For the most part, the apps run fine on the new server, but on some
pages where I submit a form, I get a CGI Timeout message.

Sounds like an IIS problem, maybe you could ask in a newsgroup that
covers IIS?
The page
works fine on the Windows 2000 Server and loads in about 5 seconds.
This problem occurs for everyone except myself. When I'm logged in,
the application runs fine. Makes me think its a rights issue, but
granted full rights to the entire server to a user as a test and still
didn't work.

Questions I'd be asking myself:
What related error messages are in the IIS/system error logs?
What is the CGI timeout set to in IIS?
How long does the perl program take to run from command line?
(suitably amended to run as non-CGI)
Does the Perl script check every action for possible errors?
(e.g. 'open ... or die " ... $!";' )
What happens under Apache on Windows 2003?

Alfredo

Sounds like an IIS problem, maybe you could ask in a newsgroup that covers IIS?

I have submitted it there
What related error messages are in the IIS/system error logs?

The code just indicates a CGI Timeout (502 code in error log)
What is the CGI timeout set to in IIS?

Default setting (300)
How long does the perl program take to run from command line?

I believe the problem is the POST is too large and that would be tough
to duplicate from the command line.
Does the Perl script check every action for possible errors?

Yes it does.

Bottom line is I do think this is a IIS6 issue with the way it handles
POST. I think that there is a limit that is much lower than IIS5, and
have made some attempts to increase that limit, with no luck so far.