perl and memory

Marcus

Im sitting with fairly big perl scripts that I now need to optimize to
make them less resource intensive for the server.

If someone could provide some general guidelines in this, that would
be much appreciated.

Also, could someone give a proper explanation on the differences
between assigning values like:

$something="kskskdjj";

and

my $something="kskskdjj";

and other alternatives.

I have a feeling this could be a potential memory drain.

Thanks

Anno Siegel

Marcus said:
Im sitting with fairly big perl scripts that I now need to optimize to
make them less resource intensive for the server.

If someone could provide some general guidelines in this, that would
be much appreciated.

You ask for advice and you're not even saying *what* resources you
want to optimize. That is ridiculous.

What is the program doing, and in what way is it tasking the server's
resources? That is the minimum info needed to even begin answering
your question.

Anno

ctcgag

Im sitting with fairly big perl scripts that I now need to optimize to
make them less resource intensive for the server.

Make them smaller.
If someone could provide some general guidelines in this, that would
be much appreciated.

1) don't slurp large files.

2) figure out where the memory is going. Don't spend time optimizing
things that are only a drop in the bucket.

Xho