perl and php, horses for courses?

pc

hi all,

I have been blessed with the task of writing a web based database
representing the state of our globally installed isam databases.

there are basically four steps in setting this up:

1) schedule isam file reports to run at all remote sites. this
generates a text file describing the current state of tables (files) in
the database.

2) schedule an ftp job to pick up these text reports and dump them on a
central server

3) parse the reports and write the information to a mysql database

4) front end web based gui. make the information available (reports,
alerts, etc.)

Our company wants to use PHP for the front end GUI :-( I am
traditionally a Perl person :) Not having had much experience with PHP
it seems to me that the way to do the above would be to do steps 1, 2
and 3 with Shell / Perl scripting (Perl being designed for text file
manipulation) and then to use PHP to provide the GUI.

Anyone's thoughts and input on this matter would be much appreciated.

cheers,

eddiec :)

John Bokma

Our company wants to use PHP for the front end GUI :-(

What's their motivation? Just because?
I am
traditionally a Perl person :) Not having had much experience with PHP
it seems to me that the way to do the above would be to do steps 1, 2
and 3 with Shell / Perl scripting (Perl being designed for text file
manipulation) and then to use PHP to provide the GUI.

The latter is stupid IMNSO. If you're a Perl guy, do everything in Perl.
Easier to maintain, and you might be able to reuse modules in step 4.

They probably have zero motivation for PHP.