    dependent. Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
    withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?
    Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

    Dan Jacobson, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Dan Jacobson wrote:
    > Can I feel even better about using perl vs. python, as apparently
    > python's dependence of formatting, indentation, etc. vs. perl's
    > "(){};" etc. makes writing python programs perhaps very device
    > dependent. Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
    > withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?
    > Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

    Quite punny title though I assume you are really serious and mean people
    with a physical disability, I won't comment any further on this subject
    :), if I already offended anyone, please excuse me, since I'm original
    from Germany I'm not supposed to be funny.

    --
    mph

    Martin P. Hellwig, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Dan Jacobson

    Thomas Ploch Guest

    Martin P. Hellwig schrieb:
    > Quite punny title though I assume you are really serious and mean people
    > with a physical disability, I won't comment any further on this subject
    > :), if I already offended anyone, please excuse me, since I'm original
    > from Germany I'm not supposed to be funny.

    Argh, I am writing to President Horst Köhler to take away your German
    citizenship. You _need_ to stay true to German attributes (like not
    being funny, what you have been...)! This is the last warning!

    :-D

    Regarding the topic:

    I can't see where Perl should be more accessible than Python.

    Thomas

    Thomas Ploch, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Dan Jacobson

    Georg Brandl Guest

    Thomas Ploch schrieb:
    > Martin P. Hellwig schrieb:
    >> Quite punny title though I assume you are really serious and mean people
    >> with a physical disability, I won't comment any further on this subject
    >> :), if I already offended anyone, please excuse me, since I'm original
    >> from Germany I'm not supposed to be funny.

    > Argh, I am writing to President Horst Köhler to take away your German
    > citizenship. You _need_ to stay true to German attributes (like not
    > being funny, what you have been...)! This is the last warning!

    I don't think he'd have the time for that. I heard he's busy planning
    his lawsuit to enforce his claim for more pension.

    > Regarding the topic:
    >
    > I can't see where Perl should be more accessible than Python.

    Well, not really. But your $, @, %, {, }, ! etc. keys should be
    accessible very fast if you want to write Perl.

    Georg

    Georg Brandl, Dec 20, 2006
  5. Dan Jacobson

    Guest

    Blind programmers can use braille displays, which let them perceive
    indentation as easily as sighted programmers can. http://xrl.us/tydj

    As for people with physical disabilities that have trouble typing, a
    Python-aware editor does the identation for you, so all you have to do
    is type a colon and an enter, then a backspace when you are done being
    indented.

    But it's an interesting question, and I'd like to hear from blind
    programmers about how program language design can make their lives
    easier or more difficult.

    On Dec 20, 11:11 am, Dan Jacobson <> wrote:
    > Can I feel even better about using perl vs. python, as apparently
    > python's dependence of formatting, indentation, etc. vs. perl's
    > "(){};" etc. makes writing python programs perhaps very device
    > dependent. Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
    > withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?
    > Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

    , Dec 20, 2006
  6. On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:11:10 +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

    > Can I feel even better about using perl vs. python, as apparently
    > python's dependence of formatting, indentation, etc. vs. perl's
    > "(){};" etc. makes writing python programs perhaps very device
    > dependent.

    I can't think of what sort of computer device you are thinking of that
    can't handle indented text. Wait -- my old HP-48C programmable calculator
    perhaps?

    As for perl and () {} etc, I would have thought that for anyone with poor
    eyesight, or using a tiny screen, they would be difficult to tell apart.

    > Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
    > withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?

    "Withstand all kinds of users"? I can't imagine what you mean by that.

    > Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

    Perhaps you are right. In eight years of writing Python code, I've never
    once needed to squeeze Python into a makefile, so I don't know how hard it
    will be.

    --
    Steven.

    Steven D'Aprano, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Dan Jacobson

    Guest

    Dan Jacobson wrote:
    > Can I feel even better about using perl vs. python, as apparently
    > python's dependence of formatting, indentation, etc. vs. perl's
    > "(){};" etc. makes writing python programs perhaps very device
    > dependent. Whereas perl can be written on a tiny tiny screen, and can
    > withstand all kinds of users with various disabilities, etc.?
    > Also perl is easier to squeeze into makefiles.

    My esteemed colleague does not agree.
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/07/finding-easy-to-read-web-content_20.html

    Reposted with permission:

    """
    As for programming in Python while not being able to see, I think
    it comes down to the tools you have to do it with.

    When in Grad School, all I had was a screenreader, and I stayed
    away from python because of the whitespace having semantics
    problem. However once i wrote emacspeak, and speech-enabled Barry
    Warsaw's python-mode, programming in python has always been a
    pleasure -- and the paucity of delimiters actually makes the code
    more speakable.
    """

    , Dec 26, 2006