Perl Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sean O'Dwyer, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Sean O'Dwyer

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    Hello,

    I've written some fairly complicated database software for clients based
    on the Perl I learned in "Perl 5 for Dummies" (which is non-technical in
    tone, which I like, even if it's not a particularily great Perl book)
    and using help I've received here.

    Now I'm looking for something more comprehensive, something that tackles
    more complicated functions like file management, common Perl modules,
    system level tricks, etc. I'd prefer something with its chapters based
    on topics or on commands grouped by similar function, rather than, say,
    an alphabetical detailed explanation of every Perl command. I learn best
    from short examples.

    Any recommendations?

    TIA,

    Sean

    Sean O'Dwyer, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Sean O'Dwyer

    Chris Smith Guest

    Sean O'Dwyer wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've written some fairly complicated database software for clients based
    > on the Perl I learned in "Perl 5 for Dummies" (which is non-technical in
    > tone, which I like, even if it's not a particularily great Perl book)
    > and using help I've received here.
    >
    > Now I'm looking for something more comprehensive, something that tackles
    > more complicated functions like file management, common Perl modules,
    > system level tricks, etc. I'd prefer something with its chapters based
    > on topics or on commands grouped by similar function, rather than, say,
    > an alphabetical detailed explanation of every Perl command. I learn best
    > from short examples.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    OReilly Programming Perl (The Camel Book)
    OReilly Perl Cookbook

    --
    Chris Smith
    http://www.infinitemonkeys.org.uk/

    Chris Smith, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Sean O'Dwyer

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    In article <bleo54$rc8$1$>,
    Chris Smith <> wrote:

    > OReilly Programming Perl (The Camel Book)
    > OReilly Perl Cookbook

    Cheers,

    Sean

    Sean O'Dwyer, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Sean O'Dwyer wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've written some fairly complicated database software for clients based
    > on the Perl I learned in "Perl 5 for Dummies" (which is non-technical in
    > tone, which I like, even if it's not a particularily great Perl book)
    > and using help I've received here.
    >
    > Now I'm looking for something more comprehensive, something that tackles
    > more complicated functions like file management, common Perl modules,
    > system level tricks, etc. I'd prefer something with its chapters based
    > on topics or on commands grouped by similar function, rather than, say,
    > an alphabetical detailed explanation of every Perl command. I learn best
    > from short examples.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Advanced Perl Programming
    Perl Cookbook
    Perl for System Administration
    Mastering Regular Expressions
    Mastering Algorithms with Perl
    Network Programming with Perl
    Learning Perl Objects, References & Modules
    Object Oriented Perl

    John
    --
    use Perl;
    program

    John W. Krahn, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Sean O'Dwyer

    Sean O'Dwyer Guest

    In article <>,
    "John W. Krahn" <> wrote:

    > Advanced Perl Programming
    > Perl Cookbook
    > Perl for System Administration
    > Mastering Regular Expressions
    > Mastering Algorithms with Perl
    > Network Programming with Perl
    > Learning Perl Objects, References & Modules
    > Object Oriented Perl

    That's great. Thanks a mil.

    Sean

    Sean O'Dwyer, Oct 2, 2003
  6. * Sean O'Dwyer <>:

    [...]
    > Now I'm looking for something more comprehensive, [...] I learn best
    > from short examples.

    > Any recommendations?

    Definitely the Perl Cookbook (nice shiny 2nd edition came out last
    month). http://books.perl.org/book/203

    In general: http://books.perl.org/topx

    cheers,
    --