Perl Books to Choose.. Wanting to goto next level..

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Joe, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    All,

    I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
    knowledgable about perl..

    However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
    improving..


    What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
    images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
    accountability..

    I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
    detailed info on "how it works"..

    I have the following books..

    Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
    Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
    Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
    CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
    Advance Mysql and various others...

    I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
    inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
    have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..

    I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
    5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..

    If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..

    I'll be glad to hear them..

    Thanks, Joe
    Joe, Dec 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Joe

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 7:41 pm, Joe <> wrote:
    > What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
    > images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
    > accountability..
    >
    > ... (snip) ...
    >
    > I have the following books..
    >
    > Web programming by Paul Dubois
    > ...
    > Mysql cookbook
    > ...,
    > CGI Programming 2nd edition


    Actually buy and read those books now...
    , Dec 21, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joe wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
    > knowledgable about perl..
    >
    > However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
    > improving..
    >
    >
    > What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
    > images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
    > accountability..
    >
    > I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
    > detailed info on "how it works"..
    >
    > I have the following books..
    >
    > Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
    > Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
    > Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
    > CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
    > Advance Mysql and various others...
    >
    > I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
    > inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
    > have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..
    >
    > I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
    > 5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..
    >
    > If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..
    >
    > I'll be glad to hear them..
    >
    > Thanks, Joe


    I found that reading "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by
    Stevens and Rago helped me gain a better understanding overPipes,
    fork()/exec() model, and signals in Perl.

    Somewhere in the documents, it says Perl does a depth-first search when
    dealing with multiple inheritance . Sections 6.5 in the book "The C
    Programming Language" by Kernighan and Richtie along with a little
    googling helped me get the gist of what they were saying.

    I read the Perl docs.

    Reading "Unix Network Programming: The Sockets API" by Fenner and
    Stevens helps if you are writing network applications in Perl or any
    language for that matter.

    Taking a course in compiler theory helps to understand how Perl deals
    with regular expression and helps gives a general idea how the Perl
    Interpretor works vs say the GNU C Compiler.

    Since you are a Career Network Engineer, I assume you've Phrack
    Articles like "Project Neptune" by Route/Daemon9 ?

    Read Dr. Codds papers on Relational Database Theory.

    Learn it all..... Master it all...... There is no substitute for a good
    foundation in computer science.
    grocery_stocker, Dec 22, 2006
    #3
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On 21 Dec 2006 19:14:47 -0800, "grocery_stocker" <>
    wrote:

    >Joe wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've been a perl scripter for a few years (3+) and I consider myself
    >> knowledgable about perl..
    >>
    >> However there are a few areas that I have been considering on
    >> improving..
    >>
    >>
    >> What I want to learn is Web Developement with Shopping Carts, Cookies,
    >> images, Databases, customer login, and realtime inventory
    >> accountability..
    >>
    >> I have built a few web/db pages however I'm missing a large chunk of
    >> detailed info on "how it works"..
    >>
    >> I have the following books..
    >>
    >> Perl CD Bookshelf 2.0 and 3.0
    >> Web programming by Paul Dubois (Very good book.. want another like it)
    >> Mysql cookbook, perl cookbook, learning perl,
    >> CGI Programming 2nd edition, Mysql for dummies,
    >> Advance Mysql and various others...
    >>
    >> I use perl for my career (Network Engineer).. I have wrote online
    >> inventory's of multiple vendors (Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme) and
    >> have benefitted from the knowledge that this newsgroup provides..
    >>
    >> I currently use, Arch linux 0.8, Mysql 5.0.27-1, DBI, MysqlDBD, Perl
    >> 5.8.8-4.. Apache 2.2.3..
    >>
    >> If you have any books that you have enjoyed reading/learning from..
    >>
    >> I'll be glad to hear them..
    >>
    >> Thanks, Joe

    >
    >I found that reading "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by
    >Stevens and Rago helped me gain a better understanding overPipes,
    >fork()/exec() model, and signals in Perl.
    >
    >Somewhere in the documents, it says Perl does a depth-first search when
    >dealing with multiple inheritance . Sections 6.5 in the book "The C
    >Programming Language" by Kernighan and Richtie along with a little
    >googling helped me get the gist of what they were saying.
    >
    >I read the Perl docs.
    >
    >Reading "Unix Network Programming: The Sockets API" by Fenner and
    >Stevens helps if you are writing network applications in Perl or any
    >language for that matter.
    >
    >Taking a course in compiler theory helps to understand how Perl deals
    >with regular expression and helps gives a general idea how the Perl
    >Interpretor works vs say the GNU C Compiler.
    >
    >Since you are a Career Network Engineer, I assume you've Phrack
    >Articles like "Project Neptune" by Route/Daemon9 ?


    no.. but thanks for the info..

    >
    >Read Dr. Codds papers on Relational Database Theory.


    Will do..

    >
    >Learn it all..... Master it all...... There is no substitute for a good
    >foundation in computer science.


    Thanks
    Joe, Dec 23, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. HDL Book Seller
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    903
    HDL Book Seller
    Dec 1, 2004
  2. Guest

    Books, Books, Books...

    Guest, Sep 19, 2004, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    504
    ÁÍÄÑÅÁÓ ÔÁÓÏÕËÁÓ
    Sep 19, 2004
  3. Zeljko Vrba
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    593
  4. Deniz Bahar
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    453
    Andrey Tarasevich
    Mar 9, 2005
  5. pabbu
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    711
    Marc Boyer
    Nov 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page