    and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the best book
    about Perl?
    , May 24, 2006

  2. Tim Shoppa Guest

    wrote:
    > I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    > it is terrible though I could be wrong. She spent an entire chapter on
    > making a form in HTML (using an example of a furniture online store)
    > and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the best book
    > about Perl?

    Even though I do CGI stuff (and a lot of other stuff too) in Perl, I
    think all the Perl-CGI books (of which Castro's is one of many) are
    awful. Maybe I just hate reading about that stuff. I've never seen a
    good one. But like I said I'm heavily biased towards NOT WANTING to
    read about it :).

    My favorite books: The Camel book, and _Object Oriented Perl_ by Damian
    Conway. Both have very useful (similar but not identical!) perspectives
    on programming at large - I may not always agree with every philosophy
    they espouse, but overall they have the right attitude.

    Tim.
    Tim Shoppa, May 24, 2006

    wrote:
    > I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    > it is terrible

    That was my first introduction to Perl CGI (at a time I knew very
    little about Perl). I found the book helpful - for a total noob. But I
    outgrew it when I wrote my first program (but the book did get me off
    to a good start).

    I found Chapter 12 of Simon Cozen's book informative, and you can read
    it on-line for free:

    http://learn.perl.org/library/beginning_perl/3145_Chap12.pdf

    Of course, there's "The Official Guide to Programming with CGI.pm" by
    Lincoln Stein (the author of the CGI module), an old but reliable
    resource (and at five bucks used on Amazon, the price is right).

    --
    http://DavidFilmer.com
    , May 24, 2006
  4. Ben Bullock Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    > it is terrible though I could be wrong. She spent an entire chapter on
    > making a form in HTML (using an example of a furniture online store)
    > and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the best book
    > about Perl?

    I have two copies of "programming perl" (the "camel book"). One is the first
    edition from 1991 and one is the third edition from 2000. Generally speaking
    the books are written in a way which is almost incomprehensible to read
    sequentially, but strangely, after you try to write some Perl script, then
    get stuck, then come back to the book, you often find that it contains the
    answers to the problem you were trying to solve. In other words, the book is
    very deep. Even more strangely, sometimes the old first edition is more
    useful than the third edition, or you have to look up something in both
    books to understand it. I don't think I will ever buy another Perl book,
    anyway.
    Ben Bullock, May 25, 2006
  5. Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "Ben Bullock" <>:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    > > it is terrible though I could be wrong. She spent an entire chapter on
    > > making a form in HTML (using an example of a furniture online store)
    > > and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the best book
    > > about Perl?

    > I have two copies of "programming perl" (the "camel book"). One is the first
    > edition from 1991 and one is the third edition from 2000. Generally speaking
    > the books are written in a way which is almost incomprehensible to read
    > sequentially, but strangely, after you try to write some Perl script, then
    > get stuck, then come back to the book, you often find that it contains the
    > answers to the problem you were trying to solve.

    Weird... I read the third edition straight through, knowing very little
    Perl, and found it completely readable... I guess it just depends how
    your brain works :).

    Ben

    --
    Joy and Woe are woven fine,
    A Clothing for the Soul divine William Blake
    Ben Morrow, May 25, 2006
  6. John Bokma Guest

    "Ben Bullock" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    >> it is terrible though I could be wrong. She spent an entire chapter
    >> on making a form in HTML (using an example of a furniture online
    >> store) and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the
    >> best book about Perl?

    > I have two copies of "programming perl" (the "camel book"). One is the
    > first edition from 1991 and one is the third edition from 2000.
    > Generally speaking the books are written in a way which is almost
    > incomprehensible to read sequentially, but strangely, after you try to
    > write some Perl script, then get stuck, then come back to the book,
    > you often find that it contains the answers to the problem you were
    > trying to solve. In other words, the book is very deep. Even more
    > strangely, sometimes the old first edition is more useful than the
    > third edition, or you have to look up something in both books to
    > understand it. I don't think I will ever buy another Perl book,
    > anyway.

    You might have a peek at:

    Perl Cookbook
    Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules

    Some time ago I got Higher Order Perl, but only have read the first 30
    pages or so.

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &
    John Bokma, May 25, 2006
  7. Le Thu, 25 May 2006 04:03:01 +0000, John Bokma a écrit :

    > Perl Cookbook
    > Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules

    Yes, this one is fantastically useful. It provides solutions to the most
    common tricky problems you meet while programming. A real life-saver...

    --
    A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
    J. Keats.

    Ah! Singe débotté, hisse un jouet fort et vert!
    Marcel Bénabou.
    Emmanuel Florac, May 25, 2006
  8. Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Quoth "Ben Bullock" <>:
    >>I have two copies of "programming perl" (the "camel book"). One is the first
    >>edition from 1991 and one is the third edition from 2000. Generally speaking
    >>the books are written in a way which is almost incomprehensible to read
    >>sequentially, but strangely, after you try to write some Perl script, then
    >>get stuck, then come back to the book, you often find that it contains the
    >>answers to the problem you were trying to solve.

    > Weird... I read the third edition straight through, knowing very little
    > Perl, and found it completely readable... I guess it just depends how
    > your brain works :).

    Or how much general programming experience you have. The content of the
    Camel approximately equals 'perldoc', doesn't it?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, May 25, 2006
  9. Tim Shoppa Guest

    Mirco Wahab wrote:
    > Hi John
    >
    > > You might have a peek at:
    > > Perl Cookbook
    > > Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules

    > This has been afaik nowadays (03/2006) reissued
    > and updated under the title "Intermediate Perl",
    > see: http://www.cheap-software-megastore.com/index.php?target=desc&progid=6996
    >
    > > Some time ago I got Higher Order Perl, but only have read the first 30
    > > pages or so.

    > The two Volumes of "Advanced Perl Programming"
    > (both are completely different books):
    > V.1: 1997 by Srinivasam (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565922204/)
    > V.2: 2005 by Cozens (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596004567/)
    >
    > are worth a look too, in my opinion. The first
    > is 'topically' better (imho), has some errors
    > but corrections are available.

    I own all those books but - in my opinion - they were only transiently
    useful. Now that I've been doing Perl for 4 or 5 years, I find that I
    haven't opened any of those up since the first couple of months.

    They are sort-of worthwhile in providing sample frameworks/scripts in a
    cookbook sort of way (e.g. grab a dozen lines from here, put it
    together with a couple lines from there, and you've got a meal!)

    The Camel book is a fixture.

    Conway's book _Object Oriented Perl_ doesn't get opened often as I'm
    programming, but is useful as a perspective on both my programs/modules
    and the CPAN modules I regularly use.

    The documentation for CPAN modules is often of the flavor ("here's a
    short example program to get you started") that is superior to the
    "intermediate" and "advanced" books. The abstractions used by CPAN
    modules are a very valuable educational tool in themselves. The fact
    that there is no single abstraction model is incredibly rich and useful
    although I'm sure it frustrates a lot of purists. (Reminds me of a
    thread in a different newsgroup, "Keep your hands out of my abstraction
    layer!"). Programming is so much more interesting when you can delve
    into the abstraction layer as you want without a compiler slapping your
    hands. Many of the most popular CPAN modules have evolved their
    abstractions over the years and this is incredibly interesting from a
    codesmith's viewpoint.

    Tim.
    Tim Shoppa, May 25, 2006

    The best 'book' is the documentation that comes with the Perl install,
    particularly the Windows Active State Perl, that you can access with
    your browser.

    This documentation is good both for basic orientation, quick fixes, and
    detailed low level reading. It probably isn't enough to get a complete
    beginner started. I think that Learning Perl is good, and Diane Zak
    wrote a short book on Perl/CGI that IMO is top rate, not necessarily
    for Perl but certainly for a good walk through of Perl syntax and
    logical structures, that is, if you read each chapter and do ALL the
    exercises you will come away with enough to allow you to use the Perl
    documentation.

    If you want to spend Big Bucks and get a Big Product, get the Deitel &
    Deitel How to Program Perl book. This is a heavy duty, industrial
    version of Learning Perl. You will pay for it with both money and time,
    but if money and time are not problems, it certainly does the job.

    CC

    wrote:
    > I was reading Elizabeth Castro's Perl book and I'm beginning to think
    > it is terrible though I could be wrong. She spent an entire chapter on
    > making a form in HTML (using an example of a furniture online store)
    > and then later switched to a different scenario. What is the best book
    > about Perl?
    , May 25, 2006
  11. John Bokma Guest

    Mirco Wahab <-halle.de> wrote:

    > Hi John
    >
    >> You might have a peek at:
    >> Perl Cookbook
    >> Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules

    > This has been afaik nowadays (03/2006) reissued
    > and updated under the title "Intermediate Perl",
    > see:
    > http://www.cheap-software-megastore.com/index.php?target=desc&progid=69
    > 96

    Thanks. Funny, I wrote a few days ago that IIRC the book was getting a new
    name. Didn't know it had already happened, thanks for the info. Although
    the price of the ebook is very attractive, is there a hard copy coming?

    >> Some time ago I got Higher Order Perl, but only have read the first
    >> 30 pages or so.

    > The two Volumes of "Advanced Perl Programming"
    > (both are completely different books):
    > V.1: 1997 by Srinivasam
    > (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565922204/) V.2: 2005 by Cozens
    > (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596004567/)
    >
    > are worth a look too, in my opinion. The first
    > is 'topically' better (imho), has some errors
    > but corrections are available.

    I have the first version, but it's in the Netherlands. I recall that some
    of the style is a bit outdated. But that doesn't affect the ideas in the
    book. (I have the same with HOP, the coding style is quite weird to me,
    and some things I wouldn't even think about of doing :) )

    John Bokma, May 25, 2006
  12. John Bokma Guest

    Mirco Wahab <-halle.de> wrote:

    [ Intermediate Perl]

    > Yes, I think it has been available for several weeks.
    > I ordered one through my local book dealer (from
    > Germany) and got it within 5 days.
    >
    > There is another one to come:
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596526741/

    (which is "Perl Hacks : Tips & Tools for Programming, Debugging, and
    Surviving")

    based on the authors, I want this book :)

    Ok, will add them to my wish list. Got one Perl book that way already
    (HOP) in exchange for some Perl help :-D.

    John Bokma, May 25, 2006
  13. John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Mirco Wahab <-halle.de> wrote:

    >>> Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules

    >> This has been afaik nowadays (03/2006) reissued
    >> and updated under the title "Intermediate Perl",
    >> see:
    >> http://www.cheap-software-megastore.com/index.php?target=desc&progid=69
    >> 96

    > Thanks. Funny, I wrote a few days ago that IIRC the book was getting a new
    > name. Didn't know it had already happened, thanks for the info. Although
    > the price of the ebook is very attractive, is there a hard copy coming?

    The hard copy has been around for a couple of months already:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/intermediateperl/

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, May 25, 2006
  14. John Bokma Guest

    Tad McClellan <> wrote:

    [Intermediate Perl]

    > The hard copy has been around for a couple of months already:
    >
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/intermediateperl/

    One of the disadvantages of living where I live is that there is no big
    bookshop that has mostly English books :-( So it's easy for me to miss new
    books.

    John Bokma, May 26, 2006