Perl cgi not updating

Mark Simon

I am having a very hard time trying to write a cgi script in perl.

Whenever I change the code, and call it from my form, I usually find
results from an older version of the scrip, though it happens
inconistently. Obviously something is being cached somewhere.

An example of this weirdness is when I write a line, and the script
stops working. Then I coment out the line, and the script works again.
OK, so I delete the line, but the script doesn't work again. I have one
print statement that I deleted half an hour ago, but I still get its output.

Or was it something I ate?

I am running Redhat 9, apache 2.0.48 and associated perl modules, and
testing from another machine running Mozilla on Windows XP.

Thanks,

Mark

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Mark said:
I am having a very hard time trying to write a cgi script in perl.

Whenever I change the code, and call it from my form, I usually
find results from an older version of the scrip, though it happens
inconistently. Obviously something is being cached somewhere.

Are you possibly running the script under mod_perl?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Mark said:
I am. Is this not a Good Thing ... ?

Well, as long as you don't understand what mod_perl does (and your
original post indicates that you don't), I suppose you'd better run
the script as a plain CGI script.

Of course, you can start learning about mod_perl:
http://perl.apache.org/

One way to ensure that code changes take effect when running programs
under mod_perl is to restart the Apache server.