    T I A

    ~cryptonewbie
    , Nov 3, 2004

  2. wrote in
    news::

    > We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    > and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase

    That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go ahead
    and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted here
    regularly and you can also Google for the document).

    > I dont have too much time left,

    That's your problem.

    > really K I S S ideas are requested.

    Do we have to exchange fluids?

    > Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

    perldoc -q book

    Sinan.
    A. Sinan Unur, Nov 3, 2004

  3. On 3 Nov 2004 02:25:08 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur" <>
    wrote:

    >> We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    >> and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase

    >That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go ahead
    >and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted here
    >regularly and you can also Google for the document).
    >
    >> I dont have too much time left,

    >That's your problem.

    Dear Sinan,

    for once I have to agree with those claiming that sometimes
    newbies/newcomers are treated too harshly here. In particular this one
    has asked gently and has *not* asked a question about
    webserver/html/whatever having little to nothing to do with perl, as
    many others do. So indeed IMHO it may be sensible to direct him to a
    better resource, but I don't see the point in being rude to him,
    especially since he has not been particularly rude to the group, for
    the question may well be partly OT, but it is also likely to find good
    answers from people subscribing clpmisc.

    >> really K I S S ideas are requested.

    >Do we have to exchange fluids?

    "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" or also "Keep It Straight and Simple".

    Just my 2 Eurocents,
    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Michele Dondi <> wrote in

    > On 3 Nov 2004 02:25:08 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using
    >>> Perl and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project
    >>> becuase

    >>That's your problem, not ours. This is a programming forum. Please go
    >>ahead and read the posting guidelines for this group (they are posted
    >>here regularly and you can also Google for the document).
    >>
    >>> I dont have too much time left,

    >>That's your problem.

    > for once I have to agree with those claiming that sometimes
    > newbies/newcomers are treated too harshly here. In particular this one
    > has asked gently and has *not* asked a question about
    > webserver/html/whatever having little to nothing to do with perl,

    That is definitely true.

    On the other hand, this would be a perfect trolling article.

    > So indeed IMHO it may be sensible to direct him to a better
    > resource, but I don't see the point in being rude to him,

    http://www.google.com/, maybe?

    Sinan.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur
    A. Sinan Unur, Nov 3, 2004
  5. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    > and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
    > whatever I thought is being done . Could anyone provide me with gist of
    > ideas for my project. I would appreciate if someone points me to a
    > necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze. Since
    > I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.
    > Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie
    >
    > T I A
    >
    > ~cryptonewbie

    Let me get this straight. You want someone to give you an idea for a project
    that has never been done before but is easy to do because you are a newbie?

    There is little that is available on windows that is not available on Linux
    especially if it is a CGI based application. Infact I would go as far as saying
    that there is nothing inherently windows or Linux about a CGI application in the
    first place.

    I would settle for something that you understand and is within your abilities.
    Look at various applications on the web and see which one strikes you as 'I
    could do that, only better!' and go with it.
    Peter Hickman, Nov 3, 2004
  6. wrote:

    > I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
    > whatever I thought is being done.

    Keep in mind that the *real* purpose of this script is to pass the
    assignment. Whatever else it does is incidental. Just pick any of the
    classic stereotype CGIs - form to email is a good one - and run with it.

    You *really* don't want to release a class project to the world anyway.
    If you do, you could easily find yourself stuck spending the next ten
    years supporting that code and asking yourself "wtf was I thinking".

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Nov 3, 2004
  7. krakle Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    > and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
    > whatever I thought is being done .

    Then you don't have a project to develop... And who cares if something
    has already been done... Make it better.. Don't be scared of
    competition...

    > Could anyone provide me with gist of
    > ideas for my project.

    WHAT project? You don't have a project! You said you want to develop a
    simple application... Why the hell would someone give you ANY unique
    ideas?????

    > I would appreciate if someone points me to a
    > necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze.

    Are you a complete idiot? Why would ANYONE do that for you? Odds are,
    if any of us had any ideas we would make it ourselves...

    > Since
    > I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.

    If you don't have much time left for ideas then you don't have ANYTIME
    to program at all...

    > Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

    I think you should read Perl books for beginners then novice. Get
    familiar with databases.. Then maybe you will come up with some
    ideas...

    Oh yea you are a complete moron...
    krakle, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Si Ballenger Guest

    On 3 Nov 2004 21:47:28 -0800, (krakle) wrote:

    > wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    >> and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
    >> whatever I thought is being done .

    >Then you don't have a project to develop... And who cares if something
    >has already been done... Make it better.. Don't be scared of
    >competition...
    >
    >> Could anyone provide me with gist of
    >> ideas for my project.

    >WHAT project? You don't have a project! You said you want to develop a
    >simple application... Why the hell would someone give you ANY unique
    >ideas?????
    >
    >> I would appreciate if someone points me to a
    >> necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze.

    >Are you a complete idiot? Why would ANYONE do that for you? Odds are,
    >if any of us had any ideas we would make it ourselves...
    >
    >> Since
    >> I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.

    >If you don't have much time left for ideas then you don't have ANYTIME
    >to program at all...
    >
    >> Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

    >I think you should read Perl books for beginners then novice. Get
    >familiar with databases.. Then maybe you will come up with some
    >ideas...
    >
    >Oh yea you are a complete moron...

    Have you ever tried decaff? ;-)
    Si Ballenger, Nov 4, 2004
  9. wrote:

    > We have a project to develop a simple application on Linux using Perl
    > and CGI. I have been totally devoid of ideas for my project becuase
    > whatever I thought is being done . Could anyone provide me with gist of
    > ideas for my project. I would appreciate if someone points me to a
    > necessary application that doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze. Since
    > I dont have too much time left , really K I S S ideas are requested.
    > Also which books should i read as i am relatively a Perl / CGI newbie

    A random story generator based upon user input. It's simple and can
    be fun. I don't think there's hundreds of scripts out there that do
    this (at least, none of any consequence).

    If one has coded properly and for portability, it doesn't matter
    what OS or web server software you use (re the comment about "...
    doesnt exist on Linux but on windoze"). This is/was the idea behind
    the CGI (Common Gateway Interface) to begin with - OS independence :)

    HTH

    Jim
    James Willmore, Nov 4, 2004
  10. krakle Guest

    shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 3 Nov 2004 21:47:28 -0800, (krakle) wrote:
    > >Oh yea you are a complete moron...

    > Have you ever tried decaff? ;-)

    Not yet.
    krakle, Nov 4, 2004