Perl Cheat Sheet - "$foo"

Andrew Gillett

I was reading the cheat sheet at:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlcheat.html

About two thirds of the way down, in the middle, is a column entitled
"DON'T" listing things which should apparently be avoided. One of these is
simply:

"$foo"

It's not clear exactly what is meant to be bad about this. I thought maybe
it meant that 'my $thing = "$foo"' is slower than 'my $thing = $foo', but
then again it could mean something completely different.

Josef Moellers

Andrew said:
I was reading the cheat sheet at:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlcheat.html

About two thirds of the way down, in the middle, is a column entitled
"DON'T" listing things which should apparently be avoided. One of theseis
simply:

"$foo"

It's not clear exactly what is meant to be bad about this. I thought maybe
it meant that 'my $thing = "$foo"' is slower than 'my $thing = $foo', but
then again it could mean something completely different.

perldoc -q quoting