    If you know of an elegant solution to compile or encrypt an executeable
    version of my Perl code, could you please share with me this advice?

    Mark
    Mark, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Mark

    Jeff Stampes Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > I'm sure many have asked this question before...

    Correct. Use the archives or Google.

    > I don't want my code
    > to be read by humans for fear of "trade secrets" or proprietary
    > information being revealed through the code.

    Then don't write in perl

    > What I want is a compiler
    > or encryptor to effectively convert my *.pl files to *.bin or *.exe
    > files (and I would keep the *.pl safe and distribute the binaries).

    See the FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/3pzsy

    ~Jeff
    Jeff Stampes, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    >> What I want is a compiler or encryptor to effectively convert my *.pl
    >> files to *.bin or *.exe files (and I would keep the *.pl safe and
    >> distribute the binaries).

    > See the FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/3pzsy

    Yes, I've read this, but the FAQ doesn't say what the compiler is or how
    to use it, unless I missed it twice. I _DID_ however, manage to find
    minimal info on using 'perl -MO=Bytecode myprog.pl > myprog.exe'. I
    tried running the .exe (after chmod a+x), and got this error: 'Cannot
    execute binary file'.

    I suppose my follow-up question is how do I, or find info how to,
    properly compile a Perl program into an executable?

    Mark
    Mark, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Mark <> wrote:
    >>> What I want is a compiler or encryptor to effectively convert my *.pl
    >>> files to *.bin or *.exe files (and I would keep the *.pl safe and
    >>> distribute the binaries).

    >> See the FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/3pzsy
    >>

    > Yes, I've read this, but the FAQ doesn't say what the compiler is or how
    > to use it, unless I missed it twice. I _DID_ however, manage to find
    > minimal info on using 'perl -MO=Bytecode myprog.pl > myprog.exe'. I
    > tried running the .exe (after chmod a+x), and got this error: 'Cannot
    > execute binary file'.
    >
    > I suppose my follow-up question is how do I, or find info how to,
    > properly compile a Perl program into an executable?

    The best you'll get at present is PAR (http://par.perl.org/) - a great utility
    that will package your Perl code and required modules into a Java JAR-like package,
    or a standalone executable. It even has hooks into various filters that will
    provide a degree of obsfuscation.

    The standard disclaimers apply - even with the filters, it's reasonably trivial to
    get to your "proprietary data." But PAR is good stuff.

    --Wade
    H. Wade Minter, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Mark <> wrote:

    > I'm sure many have asked this question before...

    So why are you boring everybody with it yet again?

    Your Question is Asked Frequently:

    perldoc -q hide

    How can I hide the source for my Perl program?

    You are expected to check the Perl FAQ *before* posting
    to the Perl newsgroup.

    > I don't want my code
    > to be read by humans for fear of "trade secrets" or proprietary
    > information being revealed through the code.

    Consider choosing some programming language other than Perl then.

    > What I want is a compiler
    > or encryptor to effectively convert my *.pl files to *.bin or *.exe

    Compiling is NOT encrypting.

    Trade secrets can be stolen from compiled code too.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Mar 9, 2005