perl & corba

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Chris Mattern, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Andrew Tkachenko wrote:

    > Hello.
    > I'm sure it is offtopic, but I was absolutely unsuccessfull
    > looking for suitable response in "non-perl community". I have lots of code
    > written in perl, and now I came to neccessity to use corba as middleware
    > between perl, java and probably C++ clients/servers. After 2 weeks of
    > research I've found that there is no good IDL binding for perl. So, the
    > question is - does anybody has experience in developing corba
    > client/servers in perl nowadays? Does anybody use it (or plan to use) in
    > some serious projects ?
    > I'd greatly appreciate any hints and directions.
    >
    > P.S. please don't point me to comp.object.corba newsgroup - I've been
    > there too.
    >
    > Thanks for advance.

    You mean to say that *none* of 119 search results for CORBA I found on
    search.cpan.org were any help? Although I will admit, I was less than
    impressed when I found out the CORBA Perl Mailinglist had a blank
    homepage...
    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"

    Andrew Tkachenko, Mar 15, 2005

  3. All of them generally point to MICO and ORBit - both mappings were written
    by he same authors. I'm asking not for tutorial on playing with google and
    span search. I ask for comments form people who use corba with perl in
    their projects.

    Thanks

    --
    Andrew
    Andrew Tkachenko, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Jim Gibson wrote on 15 Март 2005 17:16:

    > In article <d16vuh$hmt$>, Andrew Tkachenko
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >> I'm sure it is offtopic, but I was absolutely unsuccessfull
    >> looking for suitable response in "non-perl community". I have lots of

    code
    >> written in perl, and now I came to neccessity to use corba as middleware
    >> between perl, java and probably C++ clients/servers. After 2 weeks of
    >> research I've found that there is no good IDL binding for perl. So, the
    >> question is - does anybody has experience in developing corba
    >> client/servers in perl nowadays? Does anybody use it (or plan to use) in
    >> some serious projects ?
    >> I'd greatly appreciate any hints and directions.
    >>
    >> P.S. please don't point me to comp.object.corba newsgroup - I've been

    there
    >> too.

    > Perhaps one of the forty CORBA modules on CPAN might be useful. See
    > <http://search.cpan.org>.

    No, thanks. As i said above, I'm looking for points from people who use perl
    bindings in their projects. IMHO except MICO and ORBit bindings the rest
    are not supported and all and useful just for home work rather than for
    serious proj.

    Thanks.

    --
    Andrew
    Andrew Tkachenko, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Chris Mattern

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, wrote:

    > No, thanks. As i said above, I'm looking for points from people who use perl
    > bindings in their projects. IMHO except MICO and ORBit bindings the rest
    > are not supported and all and useful just for home work rather than for
    > serious proj.

    Sounds like your mind is already made up, Andrew.

    FWIW, I find the other RPC methods available for Perl, mainly XML-RPC
    and SOAP, much better than CORBA for all purposes. I think most Perl
    programmers would agree, so you probably won't get too many responses
    from people that use Perl with CORBA.

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Ted Zlatanov wrote on 16 Март 2005 16:33:

    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, wrote:
    >
    >> No, thanks. As i said above, I'm looking for points from people who use

    perl
    >> bindings in their projects. IMHO except MICO and ORBit bindings the rest
    >> are not supported and all and useful just for home work rather than for
    >> serious proj.

    > Sounds like your mind is already made up, Andrew.
    >
    > FWIW, I find the other RPC methods available for Perl, mainly XML-RPC
    > and SOAP, much better than CORBA for all purposes. I think most Perl
    > programmers would agree, so you probably won't get too many responses
    > from people that use Perl with CORBA.
    >
    > Ted

    Unfortunately, all of them can't deal with objects. SOAP and XML-RPC are
    almost the same things. Also, SOAP implementation for perl is a SOAP::Lite
    module only. And this module is not quite suitable for me.
    Thanks.

    --
    Andrew
    Andrew Tkachenko, Mar 17, 2005