perl & corba

Chris Mattern

Andrew said:
Hello.
I'm sure it is offtopic, but I was absolutely unsuccessfull
looking for suitable response in "non-perl community". I have lots of code
written in perl, and now I came to neccessity to use corba as middleware
between perl, java and probably C++ clients/servers. After 2 weeks of
research I've found that there is no good IDL binding for perl. So, the
question is - does anybody has experience in developing corba
client/servers in perl nowadays? Does anybody use it (or plan to use) in
some serious projects ?
I'd greatly appreciate any hints and directions.

P.S. please don't point me to comp.object.corba newsgroup - I've been
there too.

Thanks for advance.

You mean to say that *none* of 119 search results for CORBA I found on
search.cpan.org were any help? Although I will admit, I was less than
impressed when I found out the CORBA Perl Mailinglist had a blank
homepage...
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Andrew Tkachenko

Hello.
I'm sure it is offtopic, but I was absolutely unsuccessfull
looking for suitable response in "non-perl community". I have lots of code
written in perl, and now I came to neccessity to use corba as middleware
between perl, java and probably C++ clients/servers. After 2 weeks of
research I've found that there is no good IDL binding for perl. So, the
question is - does anybody has experience in developing corba
client/servers in perl nowadays? Does anybody use it (or plan to use) in
some serious projects ?
I'd greatly appreciate any hints and directions.

P.S. please don't point me to comp.object.corba newsgroup - I've been there
too.

Thanks for advance.

Andrew Tkachenko

All of them generally point to MICO and ORBit - both mappings were written
by he same authors. I'm asking not for tutorial on playing with google and
span search. I ask for comments form people who use corba with perl in
their projects.

Thanks

Chris Mattern wrote on 15 Март 2005 17:00:

Andrew Tkachenko

Jim Gibson wrote on 15 Март 2005 17:16:
Perhaps one of the forty CORBA modules on CPAN might be useful. See
<http://search.cpan.org>.

No, thanks. As i said above, I'm looking for points from people who use perl
bindings in their projects. IMHO except MICO and ORBit bindings the rest
are not supported and all and useful just for home work rather than for
serious proj.

Thanks.

Ted Zlatanov

No, thanks. As i said above, I'm looking for points from people who use perl
bindings in their projects. IMHO except MICO and ORBit bindings the rest
are not supported and all and useful just for home work rather than for
serious proj.

Sounds like your mind is already made up, Andrew.

FWIW, I find the other RPC methods available for Perl, mainly XML-RPC
and SOAP, much better than CORBA for all purposes. I think most Perl
programmers would agree, so you probably won't get too many responses
from people that use Perl with CORBA.

Ted

Andrew Tkachenko

Ted Zlatanov wrote on 16 Март 2005 16:33:
Sounds like your mind is already made up, Andrew.

FWIW, I find the other RPC methods available for Perl, mainly XML-RPC
and SOAP, much better than CORBA for all purposes. I think most Perl
programmers would agree, so you probably won't get too many responses
from people that use Perl with CORBA.

Ted

Unfortunately, all of them can't deal with objects. SOAP and XML-RPC are
almost the same things. Also, SOAP implementation for perl is a SOAP::Lite
module only. And this module is not quite suitable for me.
Thanks.