PERL DB

Discussion in 'Perl' started by bikram, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. bikram

    bikram Guest

    Hi, I'm fairly new to Perl/CGI. I was able to get Perlfect and it
    works great as a site indexer and searcher.

    I need however to have the same searching functionality on a CD. I
    have a slight grasp of the database structure of the DB FILE, and was
    hoping to be able to write a VB application that will run queries on
    the DB (perlfect indexed it so well). I'm not quite sure from where to
    start.

    I may have not considered other alternatives so please feel free to
    let me know if there is an easier way to do this. Since its a one time
    thing, I'm holding on to actually having to buy a website indexer
    software.

    The big problem with the perl script is that I can't pipe the output
    (of search.pl) to an external program (VB in my case) - unless I use a
    temporary file - which will require parsing before being screen
    worthy.
    Thanks,

    BC

    bikram, Sep 19, 2003

  2. bikram wrote:
    [...]
    > The big problem with the perl script is that I can't pipe the output
    > (of search.pl) to an external program (VB in my case) - unless I use a
    > temporary file - which will require parsing before being screen
    > worthy.

    What's wrong with using 'open()'?
    From 'perldoc -f open' (please see there for further details):
    [...]
    If the filename begins with "'|'", the filename is interpreted
    as a command to which output is to be piped, [...]

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 19, 2003